What permissions are needed to add story points to issues?

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Estimate in story points

I have a custom configuration scheme for my projects, where I want to add permissions to estimate story points.

I also want to avoid giving any other permission to developers if necessary.

2 answers

1 accepted

Edit Issues should be all that's needed to edit Story Points. The only field that's no covered by that permission is Due Date, under Schedule Issues.

I've seen that the "Group Custom Field Value" option exists on the Grant permission form.

The story points option is not available, though. Only the "flagged" and "Epic Status" fields appear, though. I've tried typing "Story Points" with no luck.

Changing the assignee is the Assign Issue permission by the way. 

If what you want is restricting other specific fields, this is not something that is natively done in JIRA, but what you can do is this (for Story points):

1. Use a screen for View (do that in your Screen Scheme) that contains all fields normally used in your issues, including Story Points
  2. Use a different screen for Edit with only "non-restricted" fields, not Story Points.
  3. Make a transition from one status to itself. Call it "Edit Story Points".
  4. In that transition, set a transition screen that contains the Story Points field.
  5. Use a workflow Condition to restrict that transition to the users authorized so modify story points.

You get the picture. This amounts to a "private" transition in which you update the restricted fields. That's a roundabout way to do field-level security, but I know many users do this.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Louis De Jaeger
Posted Thursday in Off-topic

Friday fun: your best joke

Hi all Lets make this Friday fun really fun and post one (or more) of your best jokes! The joke can be about an Atlassian product, or just a really fun joke you want to share! I’m not the best j...

175 views 12 3
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot