What permissions are needed to add story points to issues?

Xavier Arias February 2, 2016

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Estimate in story points

Hi,

I have a custom configuration scheme for my projects, where I want to add permissions to estimate story points.

I also want to avoid giving any other permission to developers if necessary.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nicolas Bourdages
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 2, 2016

Edit Issues should be all that's needed to edit Story Points. The only field that's no covered by that permission is Due Date, under Schedule Issues.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiracloud/managing-project-permissions-776636362.html

Xavier Arias February 2, 2016

I've seen that the "Group Custom Field Value" option exists on the Grant permission form.

The story points option is not available, though. Only the "flagged" and "Epic Status" fields appear, though. I've tried typing "Story Points" with no luck.

2 votes
Nicolas Bourdages
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 2, 2016

Changing the assignee is the Assign Issue permission by the way. 

If what you want is restricting other specific fields, this is not something that is natively done in JIRA, but what you can do is this (for Story points):

1. Use a screen for View (do that in your Screen Scheme) that contains all fields normally used in your issues, including Story Points
  2. Use a different screen for Edit with only "non-restricted" fields, not Story Points.
  3. Make a transition from one status to itself. Call it "Edit Story Points".
  4. In that transition, set a transition screen that contains the Story Points field.
  5. Use a workflow Condition to restrict that transition to the users authorized so modify story points.

You get the picture. This amounts to a "private" transition in which you update the restricted fields. That's a roundabout way to do field-level security, but I know many users do this.

Suggest an answer