• Community
  • Products
  • Confluence
  • Questions
  • What is the correct way to upload a Power Point presentation? The only way I can see is through Attachments, but why isn't there an import, as there is for Word?

What is the correct way to upload a Power Point presentation? The only way I can see is through Attachments, but why isn't there an import, as there is for Word?

Kathy Martie March 14, 2013

What is the correct way to upload a Power Point presentation? The only way I can see is through Attachments, but why isn't there an import, as there is for Word?

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
hsuhailah
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 3, 2013

You can upload Power Point presentation as an attachment into Confluence and you may choose to display/embedded it on a Confluence page by using Office Connector Plugin. Here's the details: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Embedding+PowerPoint+Presentations+in+a+Page

Confluence only offers the ability to import Word document so that the document's content is copied onto one or more Confluence pages and there's no import Power Point feature.

Hope Wyss June 10, 2013

When embedding a PowerPoint presentation in Confluence 5.1.2, the slides never appear. The loading symbol displays and churns.......and churns. I have tried both "drag and drop" and attaching the file then using the macro. Same results either way. I can embed and display Word docs, Excel spreadsheets, and PDFs, but not PowerPoint presentations. Any suggestions?

Like Gustavo Segura likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 10, 2013

Importing (rather than just displaying) parts of a presentation is vastly more complicated than importing prose from a document.

Essentially, a word processed document is a big block of text, with some formatting. Confluence uses it's own formatting, and there's mostly a simple 1:1 relationship (italic:italic, bold:bold, heading 1:h1, and so-on), and you can ignore the stuff confluence can't handle without losing any of the text.

With a presentation, there's a whole complexity of visuals that could be there, and no simple 1:1 rules. So there's no really useful generic way to write an import. Confluence can't possibly guess what you want to import.

Like Jeromy French likes this
hsuhailah
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 10, 2013

Is the PowerPoint file saved as .pptx? If that's the case, try to covert it to .ppt and check again. If problem persists, the issue might lie on the content of the file which cannot be successfully rendered by the Office Connector Plugin.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events