What happened to the Answers design?

Hey all, Dennis here! If you don't know me, I'm the maintainer of Atlassian Answers and took over from Jeremy Largman some time ago. As you may noticed, we changed the design! It's much more in sync with the style of Atlassian's products. We also added a whole bunch of new features such as automated swag, mobile site, badges, etc, so be sure to see the what's new page and the blog.

Oh yeah, get your free tshirt/backpack/jacket here (be sure to log in)

More awesomeness coming your way soon!

Edit: the What's New page 404's after a few hours, this bug has been raised. Please see the blog post for all the features.

Edit2: the What's New page has been fixed.

34 answers

1 accepted

This widget could not be displayed.

Big fan of your work Dennis

Great Job Dennis, I'm gonna missed not getting the old t-shirt design but the $1500 USD t-shirt is good enough :).

Anyway, I believe your whats new page is inproperly link as this link:

https://answers.atlassian.com/whatsnew/

Leads to 404. I believe a lot of people would really love to scheme trough the new features of our beloved Answers.

Cheers,
Septa Cahyadiputra

I was waiting the whole day. Finally its here. Love it. Thx atlassians

Great job Dennis! KL peeps will definitely love on how they can redeem their t-shirt easily now :D

Mizan Community Champion Apr 15, 2013

Great work :) profile images are clearly visible :D

Please try to follow the StackExchange models as much as possible, removing the quesiton voting options was not a good option, there are good questions and bad ones. In this case the problem was the missing incentive for voting these questionss. SE model is very well designed and tuned, don't try to reinvent the wheel.

Instead just find incentives for people to use this site, so far I was pleased about the answers from atlassian partenrs but getting answers from atlassian employees was not as common as I would expect.

Considering that answers.atlassian.com is a way to ease the work of the support team, please ask support team to answer questions on the site. Find a way to motivate them to anwer this questions.

Personally I would like to be able to disable the badge notifications, as I am not interested about these, I just want to find the answers to my questions and share my knowledge when it makes sense.

+1 for question voting

Duly noted, we noticed a bunch of you are missing it. We're going to bring this back in the next release: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/ANSWERS-1000

Nice work Dennis!! The UI is very pleasent. It will take some time to get used to it though. ;)

Liked the 'Like / Unlike' functionality very much.

As @Jobin rightly said, you missed lots of karma for this announcement by hiding this functionality!. But yes, voting up questions functionality will surely be missed :).

Mirek Community Champion Apr 15, 2013

@Dennis: I like the step to change the design.. The old one was no to smooth and.. old :) .. However there is a lot of work to do.. I already noticed few bugs by just looking around .. 404 page to whats new content is of course one of them :) .. Hmm.. Did someone fully tested the system before releasing it?

Overall idea is very good.. I like it! However I hope that we will not need to wait to long to fix the most annoying bugs. :)

Keep up the good work!

BTW..

I think that "vote question" option should be added back again.. Or at least try to figure out how to show most popular questions not only based on a number of views.. Maybe multiplying numbers of followers with number of comments and likes? This could give some kind of ratio more valuable than only number of views..

@Dennis: I like the step to change the design.. The old one was no to smooth and.. old :) .. However there is a lot of work to do.. I already noticed few bugs by just looking around .. 404 page to whats new content is of course one of them :) .. Hmm.. Did someone fully tested the system before releasing it?

We did, but there was some weird OSQA bug that would trigger pages to 404 after a certain time period with an x amount of views. This has now been fixed

Overall idea is very good.. I like it! However I hope that we will not need to wait to long to fix the most annoying bugs :)

We released a bugfix release today, let me know if there are still annoying bugs left.

I think that "vote question" option should be added back again.. Or at least try to figure out how to show most popular questions not only based on a number of views.. Maybe multiplying numbers of followers with number of comments and likes? This could give some kind of ratio more valuable than only number of views..

We're going to bring this back in the next release: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/ANSWERS-1000

Hi Guys,

I must say, this are all an incredible feedback, in just one day!. Anyway, all valid points here and please feel free to logged a bug report here if you feel this should be considered as a bug.

From here, I can only "Like" your comment or up vote your answers to show support of your feedbacks, however from our bug reporting system we can do a lot more :). Again, thank you so much for all the feedback. Looking forward to the much improved new Answers because of your AWESOME feedbacks.

Cheers,
Septa Cahyadiputra

These bugs have now been fixed!

What's new page is still broken as of 2:36PM EST https://answers.atlassian.com/whatsnew/

For some reason it keeps 404'ing every hour, ticket logged: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/ANSWERS-970

Good job!

The jacket looks cool. Still a lot of points to go. Hopefully with this auto system we can finally get some swag. The manual system never worked.

I humbly apologize for the mess, the reason why was because it was a cumbersome manual process and the demand grew so large that we became completely overwhelmed by it. Hopefully with automating the process it will now be a lot better, let me know if you're running into problems getting your new tshirt/backpack :)

Thanks Dennis. Working towards the jacket! I like that the most compared to the other swag.

Nice work. Although will take a bit of getting used too but seems inline with the other prod redesigns

Haha, good question Jobin :) We found on that less that 1% of our questions included votes on the actual question, not the answer. To clean up the UI we decided to remove it for now, let me know if you guys really miss it.

Where/How do I up vote the announcement/question ? ;)

Not really. You just missed a load of Karma though ;) I am sure lot of guys would love this announcement.

Good Job most of things merge together "swag" visibility awesome use of UI Design.

I like new look and feel :)

Just because only about 1% of the questions are voted up, that doesn't mean the "voting up questions" feature is not needed.

It just means that maybe there are many irresponsible voters, and maybe that many of the questions are not that good quality.

The reason that there is a wealth of good information on this site is that people bothered to ask questions in the first place. If it wasn't for good (relevant) questions, the answers would not exist either.

As a JIRA plugin developer, I feel that the documentation is incomplete, and I appreciate the users that took time to address the issues they had, and also appreciate the users that took the time to answer. Both these user categories are an asset to Atlassian and its community, and they should be rewarded.

Denis, the "what's new" link in the banner gives 404.

@Dennis: is the source of Atlassian Answers available for download?

I'm interested in this as well. I believe Atlassian uses OSQA and was curious if Atlassian is still using OSQA for the underlying functionality or if Atlassian is rolling it's own Q&A solution now.

We're still using OSQA as a base, but we forked it over 2 years ago, the sourcecode doesn't look much like it anymore :) Anyway, there are some preliminary talks to roll Q&A into Atlassian's product portfolio -- to be continued

@Dennis: Awesome work! The new UI it's so smooth, you hit right in the bullseye!

As @Jobin and @Nahn said I think the vote question it's a good idea to have.. I would really miss that...

Another thing... I think it's a good idea to show how many votes has a comment have.

Other thing... You can edit the comments anymore hahaha

You should be able to edit now! :)

@Dennis: Awesome work! The new UI it's so smooth, you hit right in the bullseye!

As @Jobin and @Nahn said I think the vote question it's a good idea to have.. I would really miss that...

Other thing, it looks like the delete answer it's not working... I'm trying to delete this because it's duplicated.

As Jamie said, "what's new" takes you to a 404.

i love the badges system ..

What's New 404-ing is fixed now.

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Summit 2018

Meet the community IRL

Atlassian Summit is an excellent opportunity for in-person support, training, and networking.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Wednesday in Teamwork

What teamwork quotes inspire you?

Hey everyone! My name is Natalie and I'm an editor of the Atlassian Blog and I've got a question for you: What's your favorite quote about teamwork?  We've compiled a list here, along with...

170 views 18 7
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you