cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What does it mean to close a question?

Colin Goudie
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 2, 2011
Should you only close questions that are not relevant anymore?

3 answers

1 accepted

Suggest an answer

3 votes
Answer accepted
Andrei [errno]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 2, 2011

i would not close unless it is spam, extremely bad quality Q or a duplicate.
what might be a perfect answer now - might be wrong in a year and will need to be improved...

Colin Goudie
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 3, 2011

Yeah i think that's my thoughts. I closed a few of my own questions but I don't think that is the right thing as they are still relavent.

Colin Goudie
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 3, 2011

The funny thing is though, some of the closed reasons given in their combo box indicate you'd close if you accept an answer.

i.e.

"The question is answered, right answer was accepted"

Jeremy Largman
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 4, 2011

I agree with this too. You can mark answers as accepted which means they won't show up in "Unresolved," so closing is a different level and should just be for duplicates or inapprorpriate questions.

0 votes
Andrew Ardill
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 3, 2011

Ifyou do close duplicates, make sure you leave a link to the duplicated issues so people can find the right answers. Often they will appear in 'related questions' but that can't be guaranteed.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 2, 2011

I've closed a couple that are duplicates (and hence "not relevant"), and one of my own that has a perfect answer and needs no more feedback. But yes, I'd like some guidance on this too!

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events