What does NB stand for, with regard to innodb_log_file_size and 2G?

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Database Setup For MySQL

Near the bottom of step 3 here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/database-setup-for-mysql-128747.html#DatabaseSetupForMySQL-Step3.ConfigureMySQLServer

it is noted that, "NB: This should be set to at least 2G for MySQL 5.6 and above."

What does the abbreviation NB stand for in this case?

2 answers

1 accepted

This widget could not be displayed.
Chuck Talk Atlassian Team Feb 09, 2016

N.B. is an abbreviation for Nota Bene, the plural form of a Latin phrase meaning "note well". In other words, take heed to this advice.

I do hope that helps.

Sincerely,

Chuck Talk

This widget could not be displayed.

I surmise it may be "Nota Bene" - please confirm, and if correct please consider clarification, as NB is non-standard nomenclature.

NB is widely used in English documentation, it's not non-standard.  (A faintly archaic notation I'd say, but I like it, it goes well with my over-use of i.e. and e.g.)

I guess I don't read enough documentation. My point is that myself and 4 other intelligent professionals scratched our heads about the meaning of NB for longer than I care to admit. The use of an archaic notation, while quaint, adds nothing to the clarity and would be much improved if the documentation simply omitted the notation, or replaced it with the easy-to-understand english language phrase "Please Note:". wink

I am not sure that NB is either non-standard or archaic.  What other abbreviation would one use?  It's also not uncommon... my office cleaning ladies knew what it meant.  Perhaps it's an English thing. =)

• I type this message at 7:48 PM.   PM is a Latin abbreviation. 
  • The year is 2016 AD.  Another Latin abbreviation.

etc

Ooops..  "etc" is yet another Latin abbreviation.

By the way...  typing "NB" into Wikipedia search will lead you to the definition.

There's a 100 percent chance that I am now off-topic Re innodb_log_file_size.   Yikes.. another two Latin abbreviations.

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Summit 2018

Meet the community IRL

Atlassian Summit is an excellent opportunity for in-person support, training, and networking.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Wednesday in Teamwork

What teamwork quotes inspire you?

Hey everyone! My name is Natalie and I'm an editor of the Atlassian Blog and I've got a question for you: What's your favorite quote about teamwork?  We've compiled a list here, along with...

161 views 16 7
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you