What does NB stand for, with regard to innodb_log_file_size and 2G?

Ryan Schwartz February 9, 2016

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Database Setup For MySQL

Near the bottom of step 3 here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/database-setup-for-mysql-128747.html#DatabaseSetupForMySQL-Step3.ConfigureMySQLServer

it is noted that, "NB: This should be set to at least 2G for MySQL 5.6 and above."

What does the abbreviation NB stand for in this case?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
chucktalk
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 9, 2016

N.B. is an abbreviation for Nota Bene, the plural form of a Latin phrase meaning "note well". In other words, take heed to this advice.

I do hope that helps.

Sincerely,

Chuck Talk

0 votes
Ryan Schwartz February 9, 2016

I surmise it may be "Nota Bene" - please confirm, and if correct please consider clarification, as NB is non-standard nomenclature.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 9, 2016

NB is widely used in English documentation, it's not non-standard.  (A faintly archaic notation I'd say, but I like it, it goes well with my over-use of i.e. and e.g.)

Ryan Schwartz February 10, 2016

I guess I don't read enough documentation. My point is that myself and 4 other intelligent professionals scratched our heads about the meaning of NB for longer than I care to admit. The use of an archaic notation, while quaint, adds nothing to the clarity and would be much improved if the documentation simply omitted the notation, or replaced it with the easy-to-understand english language phrase "Please Note:". wink

Mark Symons
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 22, 2016

I am not sure that NB is either non-standard or archaic.  What other abbreviation would one use?  It's also not uncommon... my office cleaning ladies knew what it meant.  Perhaps it's an English thing. =)

• I type this message at 7:48 PM.   PM is a Latin abbreviation. 
  • The year is 2016 AD.  Another Latin abbreviation.

etc

Ooops..  "etc" is yet another Latin abbreviation.

By the way...  typing "NB" into Wikipedia search will lead you to the definition.

There's a 100 percent chance that I am now off-topic Re innodb_log_file_size.   Yikes.. another two Latin abbreviations.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events