What can go wrong when I move a set of pages into a new space?

Hello,

I'm creating a new space for about 450 pages that are grouped into a hierarchy. What I want to know is what can possibly go wrong when I do this?

My main concerns are that I'll not be able to move all of them in one go (the new space is totally empty and has been set up specifically for these pages, so there's no worries about page name duplication) and that links to other pages that are not part of this group (and are in the space that the pages are being moved from) will break.

I can't find anything on this in Answers or in the user guide.

Thanks in advance.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Accepted answer

I think it is possible when you have one parent page under which all the others are grouped.

I just moved a page with two childpages to a new space and it automatically kept the three pages together.

This page also has information about this topic.

Steffen, thanks for your info. I'd ahd the same experience with moving parent/child pages. So I'm happy with that now.

I'm now more concerned about links breaking and how to deal with that. If I know what to expect, then it'll be easier to deal with when it happens.

Cheers.

I didn't do a test run, but:

What could happen? As long as all the pages are within the same space a link just refers to the name of another page. These page names don't change when you move the pages. So the links should still be intact.

That is just theory. But what exactly are your concerns?

My concern is that moving the pages to another space will result in broken links from pages in the old space. If I know that in theory this shouldn't happen in most instances, then I'm happy.

If moving the pages to the new space means all links from the old space to the new are broken, then I'm not happy, but at least I know it's going to happen.

Cheers.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Wednesday in Hipchat Cloud

Hipchat Cloud and Stride End of Life: Just over 90 days away

Earlier this year we made the difficult decision to discontinue our team messaging tools, Stride and Hipchat. The end of life date for Stride and Hipchat Cloud is quickly approaching - February 15, 2...

43 views 0 2
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you