What are the known issues when resetting a password?

Mick Davidson September 11, 2012

Afternoon,

We're having a random problem with re-setting passwords. The problem is that sometimes the email with the link to change your email either doesn't arrive at all, or it takes ten or 15 mins for it to arrive.

I tested the functionality three times this morning and in each case the email arrived within two minutes.

However, I've got a client who has tried it twice in the last 24 hours and he's still waiting. I've also spoken to colleagues who've had to wait at least five minutes for the email to arrive.

I know that other people's IT systems can block emails, but that isn't the case in this instance. So are there any other issues (known or otherwise)?

For example, is it possible that the sending address, for example: wiki@ABCplc.com is being blocked because the receiving system thinks it's coming from spammers etc?

Cheers,

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 11, 2012

I think all of those questions need to go to your email administrators.

Confluence is trying to send the emails, it doesn't have mechanisms for blocking stuff. There will be errors in your logs if it's failing to send. But once it's successfully delivered a mail to the mail system, it's not Confluence's issue any more.

It does sound like something is going missing, it probably is a rule, but if Confluence is not throwing "can't send to email server" errors, then it's your mail system.

(p.s 15 minute delays are a pretty big pointer to "our mail system is doing something wrong" - that implies Confluence has delivered because it gives up if it can't send, it doesn't delay)

Mick Davidson September 11, 2012

Nic,

thanks for the speedy and helpful info. I'll have a word with our IT manager.

Cheers.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events