What are the implications if we delete all Internal JIRA users from the cwd_users table?

Guy Anela November 26, 2012

Our JIRA instance is connected to an LDAP server. For some reason we have duplicate users in the cwd_users table (one is asociated with the LDAP directory and the other with the Internal Directory). I tried deleting the Internal users by making the Internal Directory the primary but it won't allow me to delete it... I'm assuming because it shares the same username as the LDAP user which has Issues associated with it. What are the implications if I manually do a SQL delete to remove the internal users?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Guy Anela December 5, 2012

One side effect we've noticed thus far is if you go to edit an Issue that has the deleted user as the Reporter, Assignee, Watcher, etc., it will state that the user is no longer valid and you'll have to remove/update the user before you can save the changes to the Issue.

Given the fact that this is the same behavior that occurs when you simply delete a user from LDAP, we're willing to live with it. :)

0 votes
Bastien
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 29, 2012

Hi Guac.

I tried to delete manually some issues directly from the jira database, and i didn't have errors (after reindex).
I guess it could be the same for the cwd_users table.

If you try it, go back here to tell us if you crashed your jira or not :)

PS : I can advise you to make a dump of your database. If you destroy by deleting users manually, you will be able to import the previous data from this dump.

Guy Anela December 5, 2012

Hi Bastien - I ran the SQL delete statements against our JIRA test instance (which is basically a backup of our live instance) and it appears to be fine. See https://support.atlassian.com/browse/JSP-144964 for more information.

Suggest an answer