Very lost and getting frustrated :(

I signed up for the 30-day trial of Jira and Confluence with a bunch of smaller pieces, such as Greenhopper. I am having GREAT difficulty trying to get things setup. Our team at work is using a very bad tool (Urban Turtle) to manage our Scrum projects. I have been combing through Jira's online documentation for hours, but I'm finding that it's lacking what I really need. I need:

1) Identify the Jira pieces I need to have in place to manage our projects. The online docs often give step-by-step instructions on how to do a particular thing, but it doesn't provide a flow of set this up, then configure this then set the next piece up, etc.

2) Manage the Scrum artifacts we currently use in Jira. I'll provided details on this shortly.

Here's what we currently do.

*Sprint cycle: Usually two weeks, but sometimes different

*Teams: We have two teams, an apps (front-end) team and a services (back-end) team

*Release schedule: The services team's sprint is staggered from the app team's sprint by one week, so they can release a week ahead of the app team

*Buckets: We have several buckets into which we create and move what you would call issues. We have buckets for backlog, bug backlog, and sprints

*Issues: We have what we refer to as MVFs, which seem to be synonymous with Epics, which contain multiple stories, other than that I see the same types of issues that we currently use (e.g. tasks, stories, etc), except for an impediment, which is an issue that is blocked due to some other issue.

*Process: How do we create issues and move them through the entire process (e.g. backlog to sprint to assigned to working to ready to test to done)? Also, if we have an issue that's contained in a larger issue (e.g. a task within a story) can we move it to a different larger issue (e.g. a different story)?

I realize that coordinating this via back-and-forth text might be pretty difficult. I'm happy to talk on the phone if you'd like. My mobile number is (801) 980-0268. I'm in the office the rest of the day today, but I'll be out tomorrow. I'll be back on Monday. I'm in Provo, Utah (Mountain time zone). Let me know what I can do to make this easier for you. Thanks for your help.

1 answer

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Jason Wong
Published yesterday in Agility Beta

Welcome to agility

Every team in the world is unique, and so   Atlassian believes   that each and every team's best way of working  needs to  be molded to their unique circumstances  – ...

237 views 5 14
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot