Variance value not displaying on all rows in table

Jack Everard July 27, 2017

Hi

I've just installed the time reports plugin and set one up. Only issue is the value for variance isnt appearing on every row, only for minus figures its seems (see screenshot attached). 

Can you help? 

screencapture-ndpstudio-atlassian-net-secure-Dashboard-jspa-1501157633018.png

2 answers

0 votes
Andriy Zhdanov
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 27, 2017

Hi Jack,

Zero value, i.e. no variance, estimate or time spent, is displayed with empty - blank field.

Thank you.

But if you refer to my original example...

E.g on row 4 - the estimate is 3 hours and 2 hours were spent, which leaves 1 hour. The variance should therefore, display as 1 hour? 

Andriy Zhdanov
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 27, 2017
Jack Everard August 3, 2017

Hi Andriy 

Many thanks for the article. I have read it and note it states the following...

Variance. Is Original Estimation - Estimated Time Remaining.

Which makes sense but I guess it's not what I'm after. Surely the point of variance is to calculate the overall difference in time, whether positive or negative.

To flip it round the other way. I'm looking for a simple way of budget management by displaying all of the tasks in a table and see what has overran and also any time left on other tasks, and see the overall balance.

This formula would therefore be...

Is Original Estimation - Time Spent

Is this possible? 

Andriy Zhdanov
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 3, 2017

Hi Jack,

I think it can be achieved by setting Remaining Estimate to 0, when needed. May be  it is done when issue is resolved, or I can make add-on ignore Remaining Estimate if issue is resolved.

Pleaset let me know.

Great thanks for pointing that out. When you refer to 'resolved', is this a status?

In our Kanban we have other status's set such as 'work in progress' or 'done'. 

Your suggestion sounds great and for it to work, do we just set up a new status called 'resolved' for the done column?

Andriy Zhdanov
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 3, 2017

I'm referring to Resolution field, see https://community.atlassian.com/t5/JIRA-questions/How-to-automatically-set-issue-Resolution-to-quot-solved-quot/qaq-p/442222 for example.

Note, you may want to clear Remaining Estimate in similar way instead.

Thanks very much. I have spoken with my colleague who says she will be able to set up an auto setting of the original estimate figure to 0 when a task is dragged into the done column. 

Thanks very much for your help Andriy. I may be in touch again with another query soon. 

Have a good day

Andriy Zhdanov
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 3, 2017

Great, thank you!

0 votes

E.g on row 4 - the estimate is 3 hours and 2 hours were spent, which leaves 1 hour. The variance should therefore, display as 1 hour, but it's blank. 

You can see it working fine on the plugin demo page

http://www.jiratimesheet.com/timereports/

Andriy Zhdanov
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 27, 2017

Hi Jack,

It does show positive variance too in your example on the first row. It just does not show 0 variance.

Thank you

Hi Andriy

Many thanks for getting back to me. Ok what do you think is causing the blank fields on the rest of the rows? 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events