Using JIRA XML, how easy is it to write your own JIRA Issues macro in Confluence?

I know a fair bit about coding in HTML and Velocity but I know nothing about XML. Personally, I think that the jiraissues macro could do with a facelift, and rather than waiting for Atlassian to do it, I was wondering how easy it would be to do it myself. The problem is that I know nothing about XML.

I've had a look at a couple of XML "how-tos" but I've not found them particularly helpful. Given the structured nature of XML, how easy is it to write and apply an XML stylesheet so that my own jiraissues macro in Confluence?

For example, one basic design I'd like to see is to have each item <title> translate to a <h2>, followed by the <description>.

1 answer

0 vote
Penny Wyatt Atlassian Team Apr 21, 2013

I don't know how deep down the rabbit hole you're willing to go, but if XML is the area of uncertainty, how about avoiding XML entirely and using JSON instead, via REST? JSON is a lot easier to parse and can be natively parsed from JavaScript if you want to do things client-side, too.

https://developer.atlassian.com/display/JIRADEV/JIRA+REST+API+Example+-+Query+issues

Thanks for your suggestion, Penny, but I know less about REST than I do about XML. I figured, if the structured XML is readily available whenever I do a query in JIRA using the UI, then implementing some sort of stylesheet to manipulate the appearance of the results is a lot simpler.

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Asked 2 hours ago in Confluence

What are the resources that you use to learn more about Atlassian Products?

I am gathering information about resources available for Atlassian product knowledge transferring for a presentation in our local Atlassian User Group. I want to group them in four categories From ...

22 views 1 3
View question

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you