Using JEMH to capture the NAME of a non JIRA user

Deleted user December 21, 2011

Hi

Following an earlier answer I have set up JEMH on our instance of JIRA to capture the email address of users who do not have a JIRA account and store it in a custom field (cunningly named "Email Address") using the assignNonJiraUsersOriginalEmailAddressToCustomField directive. Having done this, I have now been asked if I can extract the name of the person and put that into a custom field too.

I can see tha JEMH is capable of extracting a name from an email address e.g. name@example.com when using the createUsersIDFrom=name directive.

Does a assignNonJiraUsersOriginalNameToCustomField (or similar) directive exist? Would it recognise when the name is passed along with the email address i.e. Name <alias@example.com>?

Thanks

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 22, 2011

Hi Ian,

Currently the name part is ignored, as its optional, adding support is of course possible.

It's possible a simple text field could have 'whatever' was provided injected, instead of a usable user@place.com address, but perhaps an email custom field would more useful, allowing extraction of the information. Which would work best in your scenario, two fields 'deformatted' or one containing arbitrary string quotes or not, depending on the whim of the server?

rgds,

Andy

Deleted user December 22, 2011

Hi Andy

In the first instance I was thinking the easiest thing would be to have two separate "simple text" fields, one for the "Display Name" and one for the "Email Address". Then, much like Outlook (or other email clients), the senders address is parsed into these two parts and saved accordingly based on the configuration directives.

Admittedly the Display Name will not be perfect and is dependent on the server. However, if it does not exist (or cannot be parsed) it could fallback to using the email alias.

This logic could be wrapped into a custom Email Address field as you suggest, which stored the unparsed senders address in the supplied format (e.g. alias@domain.com or "Name [alias@domain.com]" or "Name <alias@domain.com>" etc). The view template for the field could then display the information in a usable form - perhaps a mailto: link with the subject set to the summary and issue key and the cc set to the email address for the JIRA project.

If it could be included that would be helpful as our instance of JIRA allows email submissions from non-corporate users so their email address does not always give away their name :)

Thanks

Ian

Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 22, 2011

Yup, added as https://studio.plugins.atlassian.com/browse/JEMH-527 will get to it just as soon as I can validate most of the 1.0 features for JIRA 5

Deleted user December 22, 2011

Thanks Andy - keep up the good work

Rising Star
Rising Star
May 18, 2012

1.2.6 out shortly will have this.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events