User with fixed filter

Richard Arpáš May 16, 2017

Hello everyone!

I need to set up a new user in Jira (for my customer). The goal is to show to that user all tasks with a specific Epic assigned. He should not see (and comment) anything else than this Epic tasks - in the backlog and on the kanban board. I tried to find a way to set up a fixed filter to that user (or role), but nothing worked. I need a filter the user can't remove by himself.

What should I do?

2 answers

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 16, 2017

You can share a filter with someone and they won't be able to change the filter.  Nothing to stop them copying it and changing the copy.

The goal has nothing to do with filters though.  A filter looks for issues and that's it. 

If you want to hide issues from a user, you need to use either project security (make sure the user only has access to the project(s) they need), or "issue level security" (locking individual issues down so that only specific people can see them)

Once you get the issue security works, the filters don't matter - you can use the same filters, and JIRA will silently drop things the current user cannot see.

Richard Arpáš May 19, 2017

Hi Nic,

Thank you for your reply.

I'm interested in the "issue level security" but I dont understand where to set who can see what issues (based on some rule, flag, or just explicitly picked up issues). I followed this documentation: https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver071/configuring-issue-level-security-802592414.html

What am I missing?

0 votes
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 16, 2017

Hi Richard,

I never heard of anything like that. If the user should see the issues from that epic, he needs the permission to view the project. This means, he is able to see all the other issues also.

Maybe you can do something with issue security, but then you have to set the security to all the other issues that are not belonging to the epic. Might be a hell of administration...

Did you think about creating a new project for these issues? 

Richard Arpáš May 19, 2017

Hi Thomas,

Thank you for your answer.

1. Is there a way to move some tasks to a new project? On the edit form of a task I dont see any "Project" assignment.

Suggest an answer