User sorting in a Greenhopper Agile view

julien blervaque March 21, 2012

Hello,

I would like to know if it is possible for the user to sort the elements in an agile view according to the fields of the displayed cards.

In other words, in the Agile view I would like to have exaclty the same behavior as in the Jira issue views (cf https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/18328/how-do-we-do-multiple-sorting-in-jira-issue-navigator)

It is very natural for users, and very helpful and light to setup, to be able to do a quick sorting by just clicking on a column header.

Thank you

11 answers

2 votes
sclowes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 22, 2012

Hi Julien,

The purpose of GreenHopper is to act as an Agile (card like) view of JIRA issues. If you wish to see those issues in some other sort order then you can easily jump in to the issue navigator (which is designed for this view, like Excel & Google Docs). We don't intend on adding sorting to GreenHopper.

One interesting approach you could try in the Rapid Board is the use of quick filters, these typically allow the type of filtering and querying that users are trying to achieve.

Thanks,
Shaun

julien blervaque March 22, 2012

Hi Shaun,

thank you for your answer.

I will investigate in the directions you suggested.

I understand the point about sticking to an Agile approach. I am still not sure that having a sorting per column would add instabilities to the Agile process.

Beside, switching back to the Jira mode has some drawbacks about intuitivity for most of the users and about time use (every filter is a new page, so there is a load and manipulations are at the end very time consumming). Moreover creating a filter for just a quick glance sorting, which is not intended to be sorted, is kind of heavy...

Well, that was my point. Thank you for having taken it in account.

Julien

julien blervaque March 22, 2012

Hi Shaun,

thank you for your answer.

I will investigate in the directions you suggested.

I understand the point about sticking to an Agile approach. I am still not sure that having a sorting per column would add instabilities to the Agile process.

Beside, switching back to the Jira mode has some drawbacks about intuitivity for most of the users and about time use (every filter is a new page, so there is a load and manipulations are at the end very time consumming). Moreover creating a filter for just a quick glance sorting, which is not intended to be shared nor distributed, is kind of heavy...

Well, that was my point. Thank you for having taken it in account.

Julien

0 votes
julien blervaque December 5, 2013

Hi,

I regularly receive an automatic e-mail asking me to close the thread.

I will not, in the sens that sorting is a big issue for us.

Although quick filters are are a really cool feature (it quickly occupies a lot of space though) we are still facing a big sorting/filtering problem to manage our components and the various aspects of our projects.

Epics are cool, especially with the filtering associated to it and the tag appearing onto the issues. Nevertheless an issue can belongs to one and only one epic and it appears for us to be a big limitation.

Labels are great but not visible in the board, neither in a dedicated column not at a visual marker as the epics do on the issues (that would be really nice to see them issues!!).

Components are not visible either...

Well at the end we just "tag" our issues in their summary, stating with the name of the project the task is dedicated to, followed by the name of the component, then a quick description.

Of course if a feature is dedicated to several projects it quickly becomes long and unmanageable :S

Beside everyone use the board and no one wants to go back to the Jira side - often seen as an outdated unintuitive GUI, which is, well, not false.

This plus the fact that sprint blocks cannot be reordered are the 2 huge limitations we have been facing for a year now, since we moved on to GreenHopper.

This is sad because all the other features are really cool and helped us A LOT!

Hope you take that in account one day,

Best Regards,

Julien

0 votes
Deleted user November 18, 2013

I agree.

We use the agile board for tracking service desk issues and being able to show newly created issues at the top would be a huge improvement. This could either use the sort order from the filter or allow you to define you own in the board configuration screen.

Regardless, this seems to be a useful and popular feature that doesn't contradict any agile principles.

thanks,

Mark.

0 votes
julien blervaque September 22, 2013

Hi again,

I regularly reveive reminder e-mails to close this thread if an answer has been submitted.

So far the issue is not adressed and our need is still there, so I keep it opened.

Thank you for your understanding,

Best regards,

Julien

0 votes
su johnson September 4, 2013

I would like to be able to sort within or by sprint. Jira tells me that sprint is not sortable (or something to that effect). Is there some way to do this? I want to be looking at the tickets that are open in a sprint and sort them by Key (which is akin to our projects) or by assignee. Thanks.

0 votes
Mattias Hallqvist June 15, 2013

I'm too looking for a similar feature.

We're devloping games and it would be really handy to be able to switch between ordering by rank and ordering by custom filter.

That way we could switch between ordering by rank and ordering by game flow (i.e. having issues in the order they appear in the game).

0 votes
Chris Keeble February 27, 2013

I would also like to be able to configure which field the Greenhopper views are sorted by.

Currently appears to be in order of ascending priority (i.e. least important first, with unknown priority at the end). This is counter intuitive.

On the planning board, if I change the priority, everything moves about as a result. :-(

0 votes
Manohar Venkataraman December 20, 2012

Unless I'm missing something I only see issues sorted by the Issue Key regardless of the Board. What I need is the ability to sort on another field, in particular Business Value. I want to address all the critical issues first regardless of when they were entered in, so not being able to do that seems like a big usability gap.

0 votes
Nava Bromberger April 16, 2012

In order of importance (Yes, I know I can filter by Component and Assignee from the dropdown):

• Assignee
  • Reporter
  • Component
  • Status

What we do in our Sprint Planning meetings is basically review what each developer is working on and where they are with it. Then we talk about what we want to do in the next sprint

The Task Board is visually nice, but the Planning board has more information and quicker to navigate. If we could sort the columns in the Planning Board, that would make things perfect. So we’re using Issue Navigator because we can sort by Assignee and how much work each Developer has and what they’re working on.

0 votes
Nava Bromberger April 12, 2012

Totally agree with Julien. Biggest reason why our team is not adopting GH faster is because lacks sorting by column in the Planning Board. We're now spending our sprint meetings in Issue Navigator because it does have sorting as well as advanced filtering but that's hardly the experience we started using GH for.

J
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 16, 2012

Hi Sofia, what are you sorting by in your sprint Meetings?

0 votes
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 21, 2012

I guess no.

The sorting policy followed in GH is by using a number field which has an unique value across issues within a project. Sorting in Jira is different in that sense.

Usually filters are shared to users with sorting based on the same ranking field used by GH.

julien blervaque March 21, 2012

Well, if so this is very sad :S

It would be a huge time saver to be able to sort the current view, as all other software with similar pattern (an array of items) do (Jira but also Excel, Google docs...).

In Jira / Greenhopper there is quite an important lack of GUI behaviors that are nowadays standards in other applications, especially with html5. Having some users feedback, this one is not only part of it but also part of the basis expected features. It would add some of the desperately needed intuitivity to the application.

We would really be pleased to see it in an upcoming release ;)

Thank you

Suggest an answer