User Picker autocomplete not populating

Brad Koenig April 20, 2017

I am using JIRA 7 and my end users (customers) cannot select a person in the User Picker field.  The function works properly for servicedesk agents and administrators but not for end customers that are logged in via Active Directory credentials.

By default, the Browse User global permission originally had access by the Anyone group but I cannot even find that group.  I added Active Directory groups to include Browse User permission access but that did not resolve the issue.

I'm not sure what to try next.

5 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Joe Koch June 8, 2018

I had this same issue. I was able to get this working by following the solution here written by Dryen Galvao: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSDSERVER-4310.

"I found in the Project settings - > Customer permissions the role Who can customers share requests with? , so I choosed the option Any customer or organization, by searching in this project and the custom field becamed enabled to search users by any customer ."

Martin LALONDE March 15, 2019

@Joe Koch Thank you for sharing this I had the same issue with a custom field user picket (single) and that was not mandatory but if the name was not entered correctly it would block the task to be completed by the user.

Max Mustermann January 27, 2021

Thanks, solved that one for me.

0 votes

I was able to fix this by clearing JIRA's caches using the Scriptrunner built-in script. Restarting my dev instance fixed that. 

0 votes
logan August 21, 2017

Brad, were you able to get a resolution to this issue? We are experiencing the same problem on JIRA 7.3.6 with JSD 3.5.0.

Our team has determined a possible workaround is to open up permissions on the SD project, then use issue security to prevent customers from viewing issues. We are using service desks to serve internal teams, but I do not prefer that proposed implementation because it effectively makes all customers agents.

I am getting the same thing on JIRA 7.7.0. It only happens for certain users, although I can't find any pattern to whom it doesn't work for. 

Browse Users permission is properly set, so that shouldn't be an issue. If I restrict the number of users to a relatively small group, it seems to help, but doesn't mitigate the problem. 

Sergei Gridnevskii
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 25, 2019

I'm 90% sure user picker list is filtered on server side by checking if current user is able to share the issue with specific people. For Service Desk it may be service agent for this project or another customer in same organization. So the most cost effective solution would be to add people that need to be selectable in the user picker field to same organization as the customer who needs to select. Another solution could be to add these users as service desk agents, but this may require additional licences.

Another solution could be to use Select field type and populate it with needed people, but it does not look so fancy.

0 votes
Lars Olav Velle
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 20, 2017
Brad Koenig April 20, 2017

I'd like to further clarify my issue.  Servicedesk users and Administrators see the user picker field as a drop-down box with the text "Search for a user" in the field.  End user customers see the field as a standard field (not a drop-down) without any default text in the field.

I think the issue is related to the Browse User global permission.  Please see my original issue for details.

0 votes
Lars Olav Velle
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 20, 2017

I vaguely remember there was a bug in early JIRA 7 versions that you might be affected from. 

Suggest an answer