Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Usage of 10 machine Clover license via 25 Remote Agents of Bamboo

Simone Longoni May 1, 2012

Hi!

We are considering to upgrade Bamboo license to 25 Remote Agents.

As we already have Clover with 10-machine license, we would like to make sure that such license will enable us to execute coverage analysis on up to 10 remote agents of the 25 remote agents we will have licensed, ideally at the same time.

Can you please confirm this?

Thanks,

Simone

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
SimonS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 2, 2012

Hi Simone,

I can confirm that you can execute coverage analysis on up to 10 remote agents, even at the same time.

From our Clover licensing FAQ:

Licensing fees are quoted per total number of 'Clover machines'. A Clover machine is defined as a single physical computer that Clover is used on to instrument source code or generate coverage reports, including interactive reports via the GUI or plugins.

-Simon

Marek Parfianowicz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 18, 2015

TIP: If you want to run Clover on a sub-set of remote agents, you can easily restrict number of machines by defining an EC2 image capability + build job requirement. See tip on the Enabling the Clover add-on / Limit the machines that Clover runs on.

1 vote
Marek Parfianowicz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 17, 2012

To be more precise:

1) Local and remote agents

• local agents run on the same physical machine where Bamboo server is installed; so you can use Clover on an unlimited number of local agents using a '1 machine Clover Server' license
  • remote agents run on EC2 images so on different machines than Bamboo server; for instance, by having a '10 machine Clover Server' license you are allowed to run Clover on an unlimited number of local agents (on Bamboo server) + 9 remote agents (on EC2 images)

2) Definition of Clover Machine

Note that according to Clover Licensing FAQ, the Clover Machine is a physical computer on which Clover is used to:

• instrument code
  • generate coverage reports

Execution of the instrumented application is not covered by the definition of Clover Machine. It means that you can run tests (and gather coverage data files) on an unlimited number of computers.

For example, having a '1 machine Clover Server' license you could:

• instrument code on 1 remote agent
  • run tests on any number of remote agents
  • generate report on 1 remote agent

3) Clover machines vs Bamboo remote agents

Clover license is indepenent from Bamboo license. It especially means that you can have a Clover license for a different number of machines than Bamboo remote agents. See tip on the Enabling the Clover add-on / Limit the machines that Clover runs on page how to restrict number of machines on which Clover runs (it applies for both OnDemand on standalone versions).

Cheers
Marek

Charles Albrecht January 10, 2013

Marek,

This seems to contradict the information I received earlier through my sales inquiry and it's tied, perhaps to not being directly involved in the design or setup of the bamboo jobs working with Clover (hence, I can't tell whether it would be normal to configure jobs to "instrument code" or "generate reports" or if this is something that is performed as a post-processing step by the central bamboo server based on build results sent back from the agents upon job completion).

Marek Parfianowicz
Atlassian Team
January 10, 2013

Hi Charles,

It might be a case that you have received more general answer from sales, which does not necessarily contradict with what I wrote above - I just provided more details, I believe.

Please note that in a standard Clover configuration a single remote agent performs all tasks: instruments and compiles the code, runs tests, generates a report. Thus typically you need Clover license for as many machines as remote agents you have.

Oh, and there is not much post-processing made on Bamboo server (just extracting few values from clover.xml for statistics).

Feel free to contact me via email if you have any questions.

Cheers
Marek

0 votes
Charles Albrecht December 11, 2012

Simone,

I had much the same question given that the Clover licensing FAQ is frustratingly opaque on this point. The answer I received from the Sales contacts at Atlassian (which may or may not be completely accurate) is effectively that agents do not fall within the definition of "Clover machines." Only the Bamboo server itself is treated as a Clover Machine. As a result, a Bamboo server can be clover-enabled for an arbitrary number of agents using a single Server license of Clover.

SimonS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 11, 2012

You are correct. Please be sure to purchase a "Server" license for Clover as opposed to a "Desktop" license for this case, since Bamboo is treated as a "server" in terms of licensing. (This only matters for the lowest tier of licensing)

Marek Parfianowicz
Atlassian Team
August 18, 2014

As a result, a Bamboo server can be clover-enabled for an arbitrary number of agents using a single Server license of Clover.

If you have a 1-Machine Server license of Clover, then you can use an arbitrary number of local agents as all of them are running on a one physical machine.

However, if you would like to use remote agents, then you'd have to use a multi-machine Server license of Clover as remote agents are running on separate machines.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events