Usage Advice Needed - Two Sub-Projects, Same Resources

MikeekiM February 14, 2013

Hi there...

I am a first time user of Jira and Grasshopper and need some advice on the best way to use your tool in my situation.

I have two sub-projects... Let's call it Enterprise and Consumer... They are different products that have some technology overlap, and as a result, we tap into the same exact technical resources to get the job done.

A sprint in our company has a scope that includes both Enterprise and Consumer user stories. We currently number our Enterprise user stories with an E prefix, and number our Consumer user stories with a C prefix. So we have user stories numbered E1, E2, E3, C1, C2, C3. A sprint might include E1, C2 and C3 user stories.

Recognizing this(and not knowing your tool well), I am not sure if I should create this as one project in Jira/Grasshopper, or two. My inclination is to create a single project with both consumer and user stories. But I am not sure that you have a mechanism for me to logically separate my Enterprise and Consumer user stories (and these might need to be further sub categorized).

Thanks for any help you can provide to me to get me started!

Regards,

Mike

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Dave
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 19, 2013

Hi Mike, just wanted to include this here in case anyone else is looking for something similar -

The way Greenhopper works is that it is essentially a view for JIRA; the issues are culled from JIRA based on filters, so you can have issues from multiple projects on one board (and in one sprint). I think the best way to move forward would be to have a JIRA project for each, which will allow you to have more granular permissions and components.

Best,

-dave

Suggest an answer