Upgrading Jira from 4.2 to 6.1

Suranga Kasthuriarachchi December 22, 2013

Hi,

I am planning migrate a Jira from 4.2 to 6.1, presently on 4.2 version has mysql db.

Have anyone experienced any major issues in a similar upgrade ?

Any issue related with workflow, attachments with existing data?

Thank you very much.

2 answers

0 votes
Suranga Kasthuriarachchi December 22, 2013

Hi Nic,

Thanks for the reply, actually i don't have any major plugins to migrate to jira 6.1, my only fear is the old jira version issues & issue states & user privillages. if you could point out me what are the steps that you followed that would be grate help for me to take a step.

thanks & regards,

suranga

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 22, 2013

The steps I follow are determined by the setup of the Jira systems being upgraded. All I can really tell you is "test it, make sure you have backups and a solid roll-back plan, and test it"

I'd work through https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Upgrading+JIRAto establish the best approach for your systems.

From what you've got here though, there's not a lot I can tell you. You've mentioned version, status and issue privileges, but I'm really not sure why you'd be scared - the whole point of an upgrade is that things improve without loss of data. No-one in their right mind would say "hey, here's an upgrade that destroys your data" (Well, ok, Microsoft... ;-) )

You mention users as well, which has reminded me - the way user accounts are implemented changed between 4.2 and 4.3. I've not had any issues in that area, but the changes are quite significant, so when you're testing, look at them first if you run into any problems.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 22, 2013

Yes and no. I've done 4.1 and 4.0 to 6.1 without significant problems, and tried a 4.2 that had all sorts of issues.

The difficulty with this question is that every system is different. Just because I had problem X when I went from 4.2 to 6.1 doesn't mean you will run into it.

I would expect the migration to be absolutely fine, given caveats that 1) you're using plain, off-the-shelf, Jira 4.2 and 6.1, with NO plugins or code tweaks, and 2) your environments (hardware, OS, Java) are set up in a standard supported way.

If either of those don't apply, then you might run into odd problems. I'm really sorry, but the only thing we can really tell you is that you're going to have to try it yourself. You might have issues, you might not.

Suggest an answer