Upgrade From 3.4.9 to 4.3.3

Nick Kight December 23, 2012

This is for the development version upgrade of The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia Research Institute's Intranet Upgrade.

We have a live instance of Confluence 3.0.1 that we use as our intranet. It is highly customized, but we are looking to bring it back into the fold of straightforward Confluence. Using the following directions (https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/78424/upgrade-from-confluence-3-0-1-to-latest-version) I was able to successfully upgrade to 3.4.9. It doesn't look like much, as I've turned off all of the plugins, but I figured I'd get the content all upgraded then add back in the newest plugins.

I've attempted to upgrade to several of the other upgrade versions but with no success. The article sighted above recommends the 3.5.17 upgrade.

I'd be glad to provide log data for the attempted upgrades.

7 answers

0 votes
J. Caldwell
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 15, 2013

Did you add LDAP or directory change at all? If it is as it always has been, there have been several significant changes that can be lost depending on how you stepped your upgrade.

Nick Kight January 15, 2013

LDAP has always been connected. I moved all the files from 3.4.9 to 3.5.1 except the atlassian-user.xml as I was told you shouldn't do that for this upgrade. It does look like the LDAP failed in this 3.5.1 upgrade. I haven't heard back yet from Atlassian, but will share when I do.

Jason Hensler
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 15, 2013

The atlassian-user.xml file is the config file for ldap backends. Not moving that file will cause the ldap to not connect at upgrade and confluence will remove the users that are no longer valid (ie any ldap users) when it converts the user tables in the database for the 3.5 upgrade. Version before 3.5 would probably upgrade ok with-out the atlassian-user.xml file being in places. You should also make sure that the osuser.xml file has been copied over. After Version 3.5 I don't think you will need the atlassian-user.xml file.

0 votes
Nick Kight December 25, 2012

Part 2:

2012-12-26 09:21:09,687 ERROR [main] [atlassian.confluence.upgrade.UpgradeLauncherServletContextListener] contextInitialized Upgrade failed, application will not start: Upgrade task com.atlassian.confluence.upgrade.upgradetask.AtlassianUserToEmbeddedCrowdConfigurationUpgradeTask@c60ee2 failed during the VALIDATION phase
com.atlassian.confluence.upgrade.UpgradeException: Upgrade task com.atlassian.confluence.upgrade.upgradetask.AtlassianUserToEmbeddedCrowdConfigurationUpgradeTask@c60ee2 failed during the VALIDATION phase
at com.atlassian.confluence.upgrade.AbstractUpgradeManager.executeUpgradeStep(AbstractUpgradeManager.java:205)
at com.atlassian.confluence.upgrade.AbstractUpgradeManager.validateUpgradeTasks(AbstractUpgradeManager.java:140)
at com.atlassian.confluence.upgrade.AbstractUpgradeManager.upgrade(AbstractUpgradeManager.java:70)
at com.atlassian.confluence.upgrade.impl.DefaultUpgradeManager.upgrade(DefaultUpgradeManager.java:140)
at

0 votes

Part 3:

com.atlassian.confluence.upgrade.UpgradeLauncherServletContextListener.contextInitialized(UpgradeLauncherServletContextListener.java:28)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.listenerStart(StandardContext.java:4205)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.start(StandardContext.java:4704)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(ContainerBase.java:1053)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.start(StandardHost.java:840)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(ContainerBase.java:1053)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine.start(StandardEngine.java:463)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.start(StandardService.java:525)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.start(StandardServer.java:754)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:595)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.start(Bootstrap.java:289)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:414)
2012-12-26 09:21:09,687 ERROR [main] [atlassian.confluence.upgrade.UpgradeLauncherServletContextListener] contextInitialized 1 errors were encountered during upgrade:
2012-12-26 09:21:09,687 ERROR [main] [atlassian.confluence.upgrade.UpgradeLauncherServletContextListener] contextInitialized 1: Property securityPrincipal is not a valid distinguished name
2012-12-26 09:21:11,140 INFO [main] [com.atlassian.confluence.lifecycle] init Confluence is ready to serve

0 votes

From 3.4.9 to 3.5.17:

Unable to move C:\Conf_Home\data\confluence.cfg.xml11970tmp to C:\Conf_Home\data\confluence.cfg.xml. Falling back to non-atomic overwrite.
2012-12-26 09:20:51,625 INFO [main] [springframework.web.context.ContextLoader] initWebApplicationContext Root WebApplicationContext: initialization started
2012-12-26 09:20:54,312 INFO [main] [com.atlassian.confluence.lifecycle] <init> Loading EhCache cache manager
2012-12-26 09:21:00,375 ERROR [main] [confluence.search.lucene.ConfluenceSearcherInitialisation] initialise Error encountered while warming up searcher - The index has not been upgraded. Please reindex.
2012-12-26 09:21:08,546 INFO [main] [springframework.web.context.ContextLoader] initWebApplicationContext Root WebApplicationContext: initialization completed in 16921 ms
2012-12-26 09:21:09,671 ERROR [main] [confluence.user.migration.LdapRepositoryConfigurationMigrator] validateOptionalDistinguishedName Property securityPrincipal is not a valid distinguished name: Failed to parse DN; nested exception is org.springframework.ldap.core.TokenMgrError: Lexical error at line 1, column 5. Encountered: "@" (64), after : ""
2012-12-26 09:21:09,671 INFO [main] [confluence.user.migration.AtlassianUserMigrator] validate validated repository [ ldapRepository2 ] with [ com.atlassian.confluence.user.migration.LdapRepositoryConfigurationMigrator@baaaba ]
2012-12-26 09:21:09,671 INFO [main] [confluence.user.migration.AtlassianUserMigrator] validate validated repository [ hibernateRepository ] with [ com.atlassian.confluence.user.migration.HibernateRepositoryConfigurationMigrator@11ec7df ]

0 votes
AbrahamA
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 24, 2012

Hi Nick

I did the same upgrade recently for a customer and it requires some analysis. you cannot just go to latest confluence available. Look at plugins and their supported version to start with.. figure out which ones are must. Determine version to upgrade and then do the upgrade.

Thanks

Abe

jiraabraham@gmail.com

Nick Kight January 15, 2013

Update: Working with Atlassian on this. We have now gotten the instance to 3.5.1 however the login (LDAP) doesn't seem to be working, PDFs were not indexed fully (searchable), and it appears that many of the page author details were lost (likely related to the LDAP challenge). When we get it figured out I'll share the process here with you.

0 votes
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 24, 2012

What does the logs say?

0 votes
Theinvisibleman
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 23, 2012

Hi Nick,

Seeing as you have attempted the upgrades a few times, and it did not succeed, I would recommend that you raise a support request for this at http:support.atlassian.com.

Please attach your Confluence logs in order to facilitate the troubleshooting effort

Hi Joe,

It has been submitted: CSP-93744) Upgrade From 3.4.9 to 4.3.3

Thanks, Nick

The support came back with: "Checking your logs, I could find the following error:

Failed to parse DN; nested exception is org.springframework.ldap.core.TokenMgrError: Lexical error at line 1, column 5. Encountered: "@" (64), after : ""
It shows us a problem regarding user management issues. on atlassian-user.xml.
This file should be inside your <ConfluenceInstall3.5.17>/confluence/WEB-INF/classes/atlassian-user.xml.

After Confluence 3.5.x this file (atlassian-user.xml) will no longer be used and the LDAP settings will be set directly using the UI - User Interface clicking on Browse > Confluence Admin > User Directories.

So regarding this Knowledge Base, you will need to proceed the upgrade without copying the atlassian-user and osuser files. Instead, you will use the UI to create your ldap connections."

The thing is I have not yet successfully upgraded to any 3.5.X versions. I've tried skipping ahead or back a few versions 3.5 and 3.5.5 but with the same result.

Support is not telling me to remove the atlassian-user.xml file in the 3.5.17 instance, before attempting the upgrade, are they?

Would you suggest doing a clean 3.5.X install and then connecting it to the LDAP and database?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events