Unplanned work in Scrum causing huge problems, but they are urgent - should we switch to kanban?

So we use Scrum for all development/bug/support/install tickets.  The problem is I don't have a separate dev ops team to handle unplanned/support issues.  So, we do our planning and the same day the sprint was created we have tickets come in that truely take precedent over sprint work.  Meaning I have unplanned work that my Scrum master says I can't add to the sprint but to do the work anyway.  

Then at the end of the sprint (which are weekly) we have a 60% completion rate.  He gets why but it still reflect badly on the team.  And yet we continue all of this planning and do it all over again.  While the unplanned varies sprint to sprint, it is significate and everyone agrees takes priority over sprint work.  

We have increased unplanned time but if half is unplanned, is Scrum even worthwhile?  Should we be using kanban for our work and stop planning so much?  If we use a mix, how does that play out?  Unplanned in kanban and development in Scrum?  Team is frustrated that our numbers look bad, but how can they not be?  

Director of R&D says if we reduce our bug count with better user stories we would have less unplanned work.  While that is true, that would only be a portion of the unplanned work that comes in.  Most is support issues, client issues, install issues with some urgent bugs being found.  A lot is also setup and training issues with support and install.  Help!

0 answers

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Thursday in Marketplace Apps

Tips on how to choose the best estimation method for your planning

Planning and grooming sessions all come with their own sets of rules. Team members meet to estimate stories or other work items, all according to an agreed-upon process. And with every session comes ...

72 views 0 11
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you