Unit and scale for Business Value field?

Admittedly, not a question unique to GreenHopper/JIRA, but does anyone have any insight into an appropriate unit and scale for assigning "Business Value" to stories and epics?

I have seen references online to Business Value = 100? Seems rather arbitrary to me, so interested to get some lessons learn't from people who have used this measure for planning purposes before.

At the moment I am considering the range [1 .. 10].

For story points we use a Fibonacci-esque sequence [1,2,3,5,8,13,20,100] as a measure of relative costs in terms of implementation effort/time required.

1 answer

Consider monetary denominations like 0, 1, (2 in Canada), 5, 10, 20, 50, 100:

• Business value is related to money.
  • Purposely different than Fibonacci.
  • If you also have a physical board, you can stick fake money tags onto cards (search Google images).

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Louis De Jaeger
Posted Thursday in Off-topic

Friday fun: your best joke

Hi all Lets make this Friday fun really fun and post one (or more) of your best jokes! The joke can be about an Atlassian product, or just a really fun joke you want to share! I’m not the best j...

189 views 12 3
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot