Trying to push to bitbucket.org (authenticate not accepting password)

Greetings I'm trying to do push to bitbucket.orgwith SourceTree.

I've got my branch "shahmatt" in a project. I've checked out this branch to local PC. Did some changes. And now I want to push changes to bitbucket. And it keeps asking for my password (which is correct, I use it to login to my account on bitbucket.org).

Show Full Output says:

hg push --new-branch shahmatt

pushing to <address>

remote: permission denied to update branch default

remote: transaction abort!

I don't have access to default branch, but I want to push to shahmatt branch.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for help.

1 answer

1 accepted

I figured it out.

First, "When you checkout a branch, you should already have a local clone of the parent repository.", as it is said in Bitbucked documentation.

Then, after checking out a branch, making changes, and commiting, when you push you need to use advanced options (at a bottom of a push window) and write down branch to which you will push.

Then it asked about password, but accepted it, and push was done.

Interesting. I wonder if that is bitbucket-specific or mercurial-specific. With Git, whenever I checkout a remote branch, it automatically sets the local branch to track the correct remote one.

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Thursday in Marketplace Apps

Tips on how to choose the best estimation method for your planning

Planning and grooming sessions all come with their own sets of rules. Team members meet to estimate stories or other work items, all according to an agreed-upon process. And with every session comes ...

72 views 0 11
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you