Trouble Importing Project into JIRA OnDemand

Paul Wisniewski December 10, 2012

I am currently trying to import a project from my JIRA 4.4.4 Download instance into my company's OnDemand (5.2) instance and I have a couple questions:

1) Are these two versions compatible for this operation? 4.4.4 gave me a warning upon export that I can only import into the same version of JIRA.

2) I get a scary message from the OnDemand Import Wizard stating :"This operation will delete all existing JIRA data (including attachments, avatars and logos, if selected) in your JIRA instance.". There are already many other projects in the OnDemand instance, am I going to wipe out these existing projects when trying to import my new one?

Thanks for any help.

-Paul

2 answers

1 vote
Dave
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 10, 2012

Hi Paul,

There are a couple ways you can go about getting this data into you OnDemand instance, either importing issues via CSV, or migrating your OnDemand instance to an upgraded standalone, importing the one project, and then doing the full system import in OnDemand.

With the CSV import, you can export your current issues to a CSV file. This will just take issue fields, and not history/comments or attachments (though you can move the attachments separately if you include an attachment column in your CSV which maps these via URL).

For whole system, you would need to an intermediary downloaded instance on the latest version, and then import your OnDemand data, import the project, and do a full system export that would overwrite all data when imported to OnDemand. This is a bit more time-consuming, but will get all of your data.

Does that make sense?

-dave

Dave, that makes sense. I appreciate the response. I don't think I'll be able to swing migrating the OnDemand instance to an upgraded standalone as that would inconvenience everybody else using it.

I think I'll go the CSV route you suggested. Not ideal, but better than retyping everything.

Thanks,

Paul

0 votes

Ok, I just found the answer on this site. I will indeed blow everybody else's projects away if I try to import mine.

That is really terrible. JIRA, I am disappoint.

Suggest an answer