Time to SLA - What is the best way to configure time to SLA fields?

amandavarella June 17, 2015

Hi Tunkay,

Question #1

I´ve configured the 4 fields that Time to SLA provides. I have many projects.

Can I use only this 4 fields in all of my projects, and only configure different SLAs for each of them?

Is there any problem with this?

Question #2

Why in the documentation, is that sentence advised?

Warning! It is strongly recommended that you select only one SLA per "Time to SLA" custom fields, if you want to use this field in JQL statements.

I couldn´t get the proper meaning and the "why" of this.

Which kind of problems I can have if I not follow this advice?

Is it still valid in that new version that you are about to release?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Tuncay Senturk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 17, 2015

Hi Amanda,

Thanks for the question.

Answer #1

Of course you can use those custom fields for every projects. As all custom fields, you can configure their contexts by going to configuration page of them. (Click gear, then Configure link)

Answer #2

Let us say you have

• one "Overdue Status" custom field, 
  • 2 SLAs, Open - In Progress and In Progress - Resolved
  • For an issue, you have breaches for both of them (Open - In Progress : 2h, In Progress - Resolved : 4h)

JIRA indexing supports one value for each field which means that I can not index both 2h and 4h for that issue as overdue field value.

For instance if you query for issues which has more than 3h breach this may result with wrong value. I mean if I index 2h then it will not return any result, if I index 4h  then it will return the issue.

I hope I am clear

Tuncay

amandavarella June 18, 2015

Got it!

0 votes
Sateesh Chandra
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 17, 2015

Hi Amanda,

The warning says, If you are going to search for the "Time to SLA" field in jql, it is not recommended to use multiple SLA per "Time to SLA" custom field. Else you can use it.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events