Test plan in Jira

dhaval soni
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 25, 2012

Hi

Is it possible to import existing Test script in Jira atlassian Ondemand.
In Jira Atlassian Ondemand, Test script equal to Test Plan ? And how it functions like, Test plan have to associate with Issue.

Please let me know, how can we use the Test Plan effectively in Jira.

Thank You

1 answer

0 votes
Kinto Soft
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 25, 2012

Hi,

Likely there are other alternatives and not sure wehther this work with onDemand because I think there are some restrictions to install plug-ins. But one nice would be:

1. Create an Excel or Word template for each Test script.

2. Load the Test script document in a version control system (Subversion or SharePoint, both are free)

3. Make a copy of the master Test document for each project needing to run the script (a sort of private copy).

4. Capture the test issues directly from the document (this will keep traceability from the JIRA issue to the document text paragraph) by using DocMiner FREE (free up to 25 tests for each script. Unlimmited number of scripts)

5. Link the test issues to requirement issues on JIRA (to keep traceability between test and user requiremets and if requirements are on JIRA too)

6. Run the tests on each project (and change the workflow staus to reflect the result: pass/ok, fail/ko,.. Propbaly you will need create a custom workflow for scripts)

7. Create bug issues for failed test and relate them (to keep traceablity between tests and bugs).

Benefits:

1. Full traceability from requirements->test cases->bugs... and test script documents.

2. Easy way to reuse test scripts templates (simple, create a new copy)

3. Many single points to track the overall script progress: directly from the script document, the statistics view or the impact tree.

4. From your workplace or in the go, you will get always the real-time information and traceability to track any test.

5. Free up to 25 tests for each script template (and ulimmited number of templates).

Regards,

Pablo (add-on author)

dhaval soni
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 3, 2013

Thanks for your comments.

I have my test cases in google spread sheet, How can i import those into Jira On demand instance.

In Jira, how those test cases are appears ?, I mean, as a Test Session or new issue type ?

what is the provision to handle test cases in jira ?

Please share your comments. Basically, i want to remove google spread sheet and migrate all test cases into the Jira instance.

Thank You

Kinto Soft
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 3, 2013

I have my test cases in google spread sheet, How can i import those into Jira On demand instance.

If it is for one shot only, maybe using DocMiner would require too much effort versus the benefits, but for a long term solution it worths installing. OnDemand does not yet support markeplace plugins. So:

1) Ask Atlaasian tfor approving the DocMiner plugin for JIRA to be installed on your instance.

2) If Atllasian does not installs it, it is still posiible to use DocMiner FREE edition (not PRO) with OnDeman. But not integrated with the JIRA web UI. You would have to use some availble client for mobile/tablet devices or PC/Mac desktop.

3) Install the DocMiner Server and CollabNet Subversion Edge to version your spreadsheets.

In Jira, how those test cases are appears ?, I mean, as a Test Session or new issue type ?

They will appear as issues. You can choose the issue type from any existing type. For example, if you have configured a custom "Test case" issue type, you can associate your test cases from the spreadshet to that custom issue type.

what is the provision to handle test cases in jira ?

After import the issues from the spreadsheet you can relate them to the requirements on JIRA by using standard issue links and explore those relationships from the Impact View provided by the DocMiner client. You could also open the spreadsheet from DocMiner (read only) and see the issues embedded in the spreadshet and related to the test cases, with the priority and the status up to date: a single point to track the overall test session.

i want to remove google spread sheet and migrate all test cases into the Jira instance.

That is not the design goal of DocMiner. DocMiner would be useful for you whether you keep the spreadsheet along the time. So, when you modify it by adding new test cases and create new versions of the document, DocMiner will detect those changes tracking the relationships between test cases and sessions (spreadsheet versions), etc.

Suggest an answer