Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System Requirements for Atlassian Tools Project

Christeo Salvador Aurelio October 3, 2012

Hello Everyone,

I tried using the Atlassian tools namely JIRA, Crucible and/with Fisheye, and Bamboo. My company is happy with its performance and ordered to create multiple servers containing each of the mention tools. So now, I need to determine the system requirements. I already read the documentation but I need additional information. Can you please answer the question:

- What are the system requirements (how many Memory size, Ram Size, Virtual CPUs, etc.) needed to accomodate 300 to 500 users?

*** Please note that each Atlassian tool (JIRA, Crucible and/with Fisheye, and Bamboo) will be installed in three (3) SEPARATE virtual machines.

Feel free to add additional information related.
Thank you!

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Abdoulaye Kindy Diallo
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 3, 2012
0 votes
MatthewC
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 3, 2012

The current setup we've got is 3000 users, Jira, Confluence, Crowd, Fisheye & Crucible, Go2Group HPQc connector

generally we have:

• Jira Server: 2 vCPU, 6Gb Ram, 60Gb disks, runs Jira, Crowd, Go2Group HPQC Conector. about 5Gb of ram in active use on a general day. Jira JVM 1.5Gb, Crowd JVM 768Mb
  • Confluence Server: 2vCPU, 4Gb Ram, 100Gb disks. average 3.5 ram in use, Confluence JVM 2Gb.
  • FishEye/crucible: shared server, 2vCPU, 4Gb RAM, 100Gb disks (BIG indexes.....)

This is just an example, it really depends on how your users use the system. You may be 3000 users but 300 users could put more load on the system if every user is updating pages every day. You have to start witha good spec & monitor the system for a while to see how it performs.

In terms of standard tools,

Also make sure you have read

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Running+Confluence+in+a+Virtualised+Environment

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Running+JIRA+in+a+Virtualised+Environment

MatthewC
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 3, 2012

Just adding some detail afterAlex's answer as well... Our Jira has 55K issues, 312 projects, 400 custom fields and runs happily on 1.5gb total memory allocation because our user profile is one that uses complex configuraton but light use. Where if you are going not so compelx but high volume (like Atlassian's jira.atlassian.com) then you'd need the larger ram. You have to profile your users and work out how they might use it

Also minimum disk speed isn't as relevant in a VM environemnt, there are so many other factors which influence data access speed (contention, network speed). The only thing I would say is that you need FAST access to disk data as there is where Jira does all it's searching.

0 votes
Alejandro Conde Carrillo
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 3, 2012

I do not find the total number of users that relevant when sizing yoru server. The number of concurrent users (users using JIRA at the same time) can affect performance if it spikes. The number of project and issues rather than number of users have a direct impact in RAM and disk usage.

General recommendation are:

• x86 hardware and 64-bit derivatives of x86 hardware
  • Dual Core Processors, 2.3GHz minimum (recommended)
  • Java SE 6 Update 26 or higher; 1.6_26+ and 1.7
  • Hard Disk: minimum 7200RPM+

For a medium size JIRA instance (50 projects, 65K issues) you will need about 3GB of Java Heap and 6GB of total RAM (an internal guide recommends 16GB but I think this value is unrealisticly big).

Also note that other variables (bandwidth; usage peaks; other tasks, like back ups, running at the same time) will aslo affect performance of your server.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events