System Administrator removed

Ievers Shier June 7, 2017

Hi

At 08:25 on 4th May 2017 our System Administrator user was deactivated. This user was being used by us to log error events from our system as issues in Jira and was not part of our 50 user limit. 

I don't believe anyone removed this internally so could you confirm whether this was something you removed?

Can we restore this user so that we can use it again? Is there an alternative so that we don't have to use part of our quota of users to create automated tickets in future?

We are using Jira Cloud version.

Many thanks

ievers

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 7, 2017

If you are talking about Cloud, then you were not using the Atlassian "system admin" account for logging error events because you have no access to it.

If you are talking about a server installation, then you will need to talk to your administrators.

Ievers Shier June 7, 2017

Thanks Nic - thanks for the speedy reply. I am talking about Cloud.

Just to be more clear, the error events where errors that take place in our system and the logging in Jira was us creating Jira issues when these errors happened. i.e. we were creating jira issues using "System Administrator" as the reporter.

Regardless of how we were using this user the question was actually about whether someone or something removed this user.

Cheers

ievers

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 7, 2017

I suspect Atlassian removed it because you should not have been using it as though it were a real user.

Ievers Shier June 8, 2017

Thanks again - if wasn't necessary for anything else do you know why it existed in the first place? 

And do you know how I can contact Atlassian to find out as they made a whole raft of minor changes to other usernames at the same time which I'd also like to understand.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 8, 2017

The system administrator account is there for Atlassian to maintain your system.  You don't have any access to it, and shouldn't use it.

Atlassian are migrating all Cloud instances to use Atlassian accounts rather than local logins, so I suspect that's what you are seeing the effects of.

I would definitely raise it with them directly if you have any questions - https://support.atlassian.com/contact should do the trick

Suggest an answer