Support and Maintenance on KanBan - I want to report story points...

Michael Smith August 2, 2016

I am interested in using a KanBan for support and maintenance, and I was wondering how we can do story point tracking for progress. I want velocity etc. so I can make managerial decisions. 

Now I know that S&M should be a KanBan function more than a Scrum because Scrum implies it will end. Thoughts? Unless I should be sprinting support on a Scrum board? I definitely want the reporting feature for this, so that is why I am asking. Also, given the unpredictable nature of support, sprints are hard as they contain several emergency items etc.

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 8, 2016

There's nothing to stop you putting Story Points on issues that you are tracking through a Kanban board.

It won't affect the Kanban board or add any additional functions, as Story Points are not used in Kanban, but there's no harm in adding them. 

You might find it easier to have a Scrum board as well as the Kanban board, then you'll be able to use the Story Points more, but you'll still need to work out a way of doing sprints if you want the full set of reporting.  Maybe tie it to your organisations reporting - a couple of places I've worked have a support sprint on a monthly basis.  One place is a school and does it by half-terms (6 sprints a year!)

Suggest an answer