Story swimlines. How to avoid query swimlanes when it comes to crossproject linking

jmut jmut January 30, 2013

I am setting up Kanban view to have better view on specific stories. Thing is stories sometimes span between projects. One option is to use querise swimlanes and make use of queries and for example have swimlane like

issue in linkedIssues(mar-1) or parent = mar-1

so that I end up having everything related to story mar-1 in single swimlane.

This is kind of not nice because I'll have to write query everytime there is new story to follow.

On the other hand if I use subtasks and just create swimlanes based on storiies I will not see related issues in other projects and sometimes you just cannot handle all you need using subtasks.

1 answer

0 votes
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 1, 2013

While this is not an answer, but more of a query on the usage. Isn't the focus on the story rather than group of stories while in the Work mode? Won't it clutter the Work mode if all the technical tasks (sub-tasks) of all stories start showing up on the same swimlane?

Btw, are technical tasks (sub-tasks) used in the sprint planning to break down the story into individual smaller tasks?

jmut jmut February 1, 2013

Well say a story is more complex and it spans between multiple projects. For example I have one project for Marketing team and say they go for a new campaign. This story will include work from marketing team as well as some work at the end by the development team to create page or something regarding the campaign. So basically you end up with two stories in two projects that should link somehow together because bottom line the final product (delivarable) spans accross multiple projects. And while most people need more narrow view of specific for current sprint etc etc....managers on the other hand need more broader view to see the whole picture (stories across projects - you may call it the epic I guess) so they can decide what's really left to be done, how much work done etc.

Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 1, 2013

I am starting to think that the task for Marketing team has to be in the same project as projects are expected to be in the product level rather than on team levels. GreenHopper expects that the story is self contained while in the work mode. And Epics are used to relate stories at the higher level, even though while in the work mode, the focus is back to stories.

In your case, you may have an epic and use the Epic reports to see the overall progress of the Epic.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/GH/Viewing+the+Epic+Report

Suggest an answer