Story Points in Reports

When you are in the Edit window for a task, there are two fields, Original Estimate and Remaining Estimate, which I thought might be the field for entering the story points and I had entered integer values there.

But when I look at the Sprint Report, the two sections of the Sprint report labeled Completed Issues and Issues Not Completed I see a rightmost column labeled Story Points and nothing shows up in that column.

1 answer

0 vote

Hi Deborah,

The Original Estimate and Remaining Estimate fields are actually time logging fields for logging hours, weeks or days spent and remaining and not story points. 

For story points, the recommended way of updating this field is via the issues in your scrum board on the backlog screen. The backlog items will have no points showing on the very right if there are no points estimated for the story. It will show a number in a gray oval if there are. By clicking on the backlog item the right side issue detail will pop open and you can click next to the Estimate field to apply an integer numer for your points.

If an item is already in a running sprint, you cannot change this value via the agile boards as that is considered scope change. 

If needed, you can also work with your JIRA Admin to add the Story Points field to your issue create/edit/view screens so that you can set it in that way as well. If the field is accessible on these screens outside of the agile board, you will be able to change the value after the sprint as started which will be reflected on your agle board reports as a scope change. 

The nature of story points is that you don't get partial credit. Therefore the Remaining Estimate field wouldn't make sense here. You burn all of the points if the item is completed during a sprint, or you burn none if it's not. Your sprint report will reflect that as well. 

Hope this helps,

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Maarten Cautreels
Posted yesterday in Off-topic

Friday Fun: What's your favourite beer/drink

As a Belgian, beer-lover and home brewer, beer is one of my great passions. I love the fact that with just a few ingredients (usually just water, hop and malt) you can create so many different tastes...

246 views 35 9
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot