Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SourceTree is very slow on windows 7

Viewing page 2 of 2

42 answers

0 votes
GolezTrol November 17, 2014

I have the same issues, which seem to have started with one of the 1.6.X updates. The latest (1.6.10) still gave these problems. It some takes takes litarally a couple of minutes to wait until the application responds again. A collegue who has the same configuration doesn't have this issue after upgrading, but I couldn't work anymore. I've downgraded to 1.5.2 and now everything works fine. And good riddance of the staging checkboxes too. ;-)

0 votes
Leon Cullens November 14, 2014

@Luke De Feo the latest version is 1.6.10.0, not 1.3.3.0.

0 votes
Luciano Goncalves November 14, 2014

Same here. I'm running 1.6.10

0 votes
Magnus Strödin November 11, 2014

I also have the performance issues described above; takes seconds to stage files, selecting files, switching between tabs etc. I am running 1.6.9 with embedded git. I think everything started when the UI changed for staging/diff. It got nicer but very slow instead.

0 votes
Christopher Lutz October 9, 2014

I love sourcetree but its been so bad over the last few dot releases in terms of ui changes and performance i am really starting to consider changing. I juts hope it can get back to the level of performance it used to be. When i use it on my mac it is way better. the windows version is where the issue seems to be. I'll test on windows 8 and see if that makes a difference.

0 votes
Leon Cullens September 7, 2014

Seems somewhat faster after updating to 1.6.4.0 but it's still slow. Especially browsing through the log/history.

0 votes
Robert Sirre September 7, 2014

I just upgraded, but unfortunately the application still is sluggish. Staging and unstaging (even of smaller sets), switching between tabs, switching the selected document to diff, all feels unnecessarily slow.

0 votes
KieranA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 7, 2014

We released 1.6.4 today which deals with many, many performance issues. This stops unnecessary diff view refreshes, and stops the file lists from refreshing when switching between various views. Check the release notes here for more on what was fixed in this version: http://www.sourcetreeapp.com/update/WindowsReleaseNotes.html

0 votes
ogierepier September 3, 2014

I can confirm this. Since I upgraded it's very slow. It got so annoying I especially made an account here to report this.

0 votes
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 2, 2014

I have had no issues - ST 1.6.3, Windows 8.1 64 bit, embedded Git, SSH remotes.

I also have no submodules, hooks, or extended integration of any kind, but my repos are very large and old (migrated a 8+ year old project from SVN) with many branches.

0 votes
Leon Cullens September 2, 2014

Same problem here. The last 3 updates made SourceTree really really slow. This happened after upgrading to 1.6.0.

0 votes
Pete Allison September 2, 2014

Completely agree with Robert, the last update was really poor. The performance has dropped to the point it's painful. Staging a file takes around 15 seconds and after a commit you can be waiting for a few minutes for the staged file pain to clear. What also doesn't help is that each file is staged when you check it - so you're talking 15 seconds each.

0 votes
Robert Sirre September 2, 2014

Sourcetree also became significatly slower after the upgrade to 1.6.3 (from I think 1.6.0).

Is there anythink we can do help analyse the issue?

0 votes
sergiopereira March 21, 2014

My project has no submodules but SourceTree for windows is still very slow. Git runs fast from the command line for the same commands (fetch, pull, merge, rebase, branch). Everything looks at least 10 times slower in SourceTree (using Win7 and the latest SourceTree for Windows as of this writing)

sergiopereira September 2, 2014
Following up on this. Switching from http to ssh for our GitHub hosted repositories improved the speed. I'm not sure everything got faster but at least the things we do more frequently became tolerable.
0 votes
brett seib February 5, 2014

I have the same problem, and my projects have many submodules. Restarting will fix the problem momentarily. However it will slow down and eventually become unresponsive.

0 votes
Bart Peintner January 21, 2014

Not sure if my speed issue is the same as Luke's, but I'll add my situation here, which may help.

We have a repository with many submodules (~25). Before we split it into submodules, SourceTree was very fast. After the split, it is very painful. After opening a tab (submodule), it displays instantly about 75% of the time. The other times, the window bar gets a "Not responding" and it takes 10-30 seconds to update. Selecting the root project is usually very slow: wait times can be beyond one minute.

My collegues with SourceTree for Mac do not have this problem. After the switch to submodules, they had no change in performance.

To answer Jeff's questions: 0 untracked files, but many files fall under .gitignore; individual git commands on the command line is very fast, although a 'submodule foreach git status' can take 20 seconds to complete all submodules; I've only tried it on two repositories, but the second is extremely small,so not a good test.

In the UI, I've turned off all automatic refresh options.

Ideally, SourceTree would allow me to turn on a log of all git commands used by source tree, timing included. Then I could troubleshoot the problem effectively.

This issue started in October, 2013 - not sure which revision that was, but I tend to update immediately.

0 votes
Jeff Thomas
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 20, 2014

Hi Luke,

• Does this occur on any repository you try or just one?
  • Do you have a lot of untracked files? A large number of untracked files can slow down Git, which in turn slows down SourceTree.
  • If you run the Git commands from the command line, are they fast or just as slow as SourceTree?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events