Setting up JEMH

Christopher Linley October 16, 2014

Hello,

Wondered if anyone could help me.

I'm trying to setup JEMH to do two things:
(1) Create a issue
(2) Add a comment to an existing issue (identifying the correct issue using a custom ID field, rather than the issue key)

At the moment I don't need to send an e-mail updates - I just need to receive e-mails and convert them to issues/comments.

I'm struggling to find what I need in the official documentation (including the 2-minute guide and the HelpDesk example). Does anyone know if there are any other simple howto's/walkthroughs for standard JEMH configurations?

Two specific problems I've hit so far are:

(1) JEMH doesn't seem to process any mails from the handler. I suspect this might be due to loop avoidance.
(2) I tried changing the field processor from basic to At/Colon but whenever I run a test case it tells me it used the Basic Processor, and my custom field doesn't get populated on the new issue.

Any help would be much appreciated,

Thanks,
Chris

2 answers

2 votes
Andy Brook
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 16, 2014

Hi Chris, 

See what I can do wink

At the moment I don't need to send an e-mail updates - I just need to receive e-mails and convert them to issues/comments.

OK, that simplifies things.  The two minute guide will actually do just that. So moving on to your problems:

(1) JEMH doesn't seem to process any mails from the handler. I suspect this might be due to loop avoidance.

What is 'the handler'.  JEMH doesn't process emails from the local JIRA, that would be a not so useful outcome, and yes, potentially JEMH could updates issues, generate emails, pick them up again and ...  Perhaps broadening your problem description would help?

Inbound mail is pretty simple, mostly its getting the Profile right:

a) set a default project where issues will be created

b) set a catchemail address that matches your incoming mailbox addressee (eg support@yourco.net), this is so that JEMH can discount that address from further processing

c) decide if you are supporting JIRA users only, email-only non-JIRA users, or both?  Defining a User > Reporter, will ensure that users without accounts will be created by that Reporter.  In the case of email users, you also need to identify some custom fields to store i) the sender Address, ii) the sender Personal (name), iii) everyone else.  JIRA users can get added as watchers simplifying notifications.

Not wanting to deal with outbound notifications means its largely then just hooking up a JEMH Mail Handler to associate a JIRA Incoming Mail configuration and a JEMH Profile.

(2) I tried changing the field processor from basic to At/Colon but whenever I run a test case it tells me it used the Basic Processor, and my custom field doesn't get populated on the new issue.

Probably, because you haven't explicitly enabled Directives, there is a section just for that, where fine grained controls for Directives are located.  Probably you would want to enable Directives for Create or Create/Comment usage.

0 votes
Christopher Linley October 16, 2014

Hi Andy,

I had made an error in my JIRA mail handler configuration (I had "Local files" selected, instead of the appropriate IMAP account) which explains why JEMH wasn't seeing any e-mails. Also, after restarting the system the correct processor was being used for test cases. Not sure what changed here (I had enabled Directives early on).

I've almost finished my setup now, just following the guide on stripping e-mails now to tidy things up a bit. Thanks very much for your help. 

Cheers,
Chris 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events