Setting remaining estimate to 0 for closed issues

Michael August 15, 2012

I have a lot of closed issues where my developers forgot to set the remaining estimate to 0. I can't edit them without re-opening them. Is there any way to bulk-change them?

5 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 15, 2012

In simple terms

Daniel Schaeffer September 4, 2019

Will this cause another work log entry to be created?  I don't want all of these tickets to suddenly Finish today.

2 votes
Zoltan Penzeli October 27, 2014

As per JRA-5034, it's currently not supported to set the remaining estimate via Bulk Change. sad

So it's either setting one by one or write a script for that...

For the future, you can set up your workflow to modify Remaining Estimate to 0 when the issue is transitioned to Resolved/Closed status.

2 votes
isaac_sherpa March 17, 2014

I am loathe to dredge up an old thread, but this is still the most accurate advice, albeit with a quick update:

In my OnDemand JIRA configuration, I am unable to edit any of the time tracking fields as part of a bulk change. I had to add a transition post function to set the remaining estimate to 0 on close, and then bulk close the issues. This was what I wanted to do in the first place, so it worked out well, but this may trip other users up so I wanted to specify.

The transition post functions are available when editing a workflow by clicking on the resulting status. There will be "Conditions", "Validators", and "Post Functions". Click "Post Functions", click "Add Post Function", scroll to the bottom and select "Update Issue Field", click "Add", then select "Remaining Estimate", and enter "0m" for the remaining estimate. Now, when you perform the bulk change, the remaining estimate will be set to 0, and this will happen for all future issues being closed this way as well.

1 vote
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 15, 2012

I am not sure whether I got your question right as Jobin already said reopening is needed anyway. Anyway my answer as per what I read from your description:

You can add an additional workflow transisiton (destination step as the Closed itself) in your workflow to clear off the editable flag for the issue. Once done you can do a bulk edit and also select not to notify the users while editing.

Michael August 15, 2012

that sounds great. Could you give me advice on how to change that workflow accordinly. Sorry, I am a JIRA newbie and find the work-flow stuff a bit hard :)

1 vote
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 15, 2012

Reopening them is the only way to do this from UI. An easy option would be to fix this in JIRA but that would need an outage and reindexing.

Writing a script would be another option.

Suggest an answer