Setting Status of parent "User Story" Issues - GH 6.0

Scott Ocamb October 28, 2012

I have a set of User Stories with sub-tasks. It is easy to drag the sub tasks in the planning mode. But the parent task does not get placed in progress when a sub task item does.

Also, to set a parent task in process seems buried in the ui.

I need to:

• Click on the a parent item
  • Click the gear
  • Click More actions...
  • Select Start Process

It is important to do this becasue on the plan board, the red/yellow/green indicators only seem to work when a parent item is set properly.

is this the intended functionality or am i missing something

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
JustinA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 31, 2012

By default, GreeHopper doesn't perform the automatic transition for the parent issue if its sub-task is set to "In Progress". You can set this property by adding the "Transition Parent Issue" post function that comes bundled in with the JIRA Misc Workflow Extensions plugin (it should be enabled by default in OnDemand).

Adding this post function to your "In Progress" transition would ensure that as long as a sub-task is moved to "In Progress", the parent would also be set to "In Progress"; regardless of the state of other sub-tasks.

In addition, you might want to set the "Reopened" and "Stop Progress" transitions to have this post function as well; just to keep everything in sync.

Justin Alex, Atlassian.

0 votes
Scott Ocamb October 31, 2012

Be happy to add more details.

In my example, I have a parent Issue (Story) Establish nightly builds with 5 sub-tasks, The story is worth 3 story points.

The Plan Board looks like this, with 3 story points still in red as I would expect.:

So I start working on GHSAN-98. I drag ths in Planning over to in process:

GHSAN-98 is in progress as expected, the Story is still open.

The "dashboard" in planning looks like this:

But in reality, the story in in progress as well.

the only way I could see to do this via the Work Board is burried:

After doing this the plan board looks like I expect.

So as a scrum master, it seems like i need to manually monitor these things and keep them up to date, unless i have missed something.

0 votes
OmarA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 30, 2012

Hi,

Do you mean here "Plan Mode" or "Work Mode" ? Can you please explain further regarding this. I'd apperciate if you can attach some screenshots, this will make things easier.

Cheers,

Omar

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events