Set up Cloud-based JIRA importing SQL JIRA backup

Elena Simsarian May 25, 2016

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Importing issues from JIRA server applications

We used JIRA server until the recent servers migration in our company. We have SQL backup file (.bak) of our JIRA database. Do we have to restore JIRA on the new server and then migrate it to the Cloud? Or can we just set up the Cloud-based JIRA and import our database there?

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 25, 2016

>Do we have to restore JIRA on the new server and then migrate it to the Cloud?

Yes.  Cloud needs an XML file exported from a recent version of JIRA.  You don't have any access to the database, your SQL is of no use to Cloud.

Elena Simsarian May 25, 2016

Thank you! This is very helpful.

So I've installed JIRA server in the new place and restored JIRA database from another server backup. How do I connect the one with the other?

Do I have to modify this line in dbconfig.xml? How should I change it? What else should be done except to JIRA service restart?

<url><url>jdbc:h2:file:C:\Program Files\Atlassian\Application Data\JIRA/database/h2db</url>

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 25, 2016

I'm not sure that alone will work, as you're changing database type.

What I would have done is to create a new empty database, and set up the new JIRA against that.  That way, you know you have a working target system.  Then you'd stop JIRA, change the dbconfig file to point at the restored database, and restart it.

You can still change the dbconfig file, but you might find failures about missing drivers and versions of things.  It's worth a try (worst case, if you want to go back to my method - remove the content of the JIRA home directory, and your JIRA install will go "hey, I'm new" and start fresh)

Elena Simsarian June 10, 2016

Thanks. A new empty database and the dbconfig adjustment finally did the trick.

Suggest an answer