Security Question - Tie Component Entries to Groups or Roles

Mark Gordon August 24, 2014

JIRA team,

I wan users to have access to see specific issues - the key grouping concept I would like to use is "components'. Thus, is there a way to assign users to components? Or even have groups or roles tied to compoenents and then users to the gorups or roles?

thanks

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 24, 2014

There is "component lead", but that isn't going to help you with this. You can't tie anything else to components, including security levels.

If you skipped components and used a dedicated group field instead, you could use that field in the security schemes to do this, but it's not going to work with components.

Mark Gordon August 24, 2014

Nic, thanks for the info. But, if you had an issue and wanted to associate it to the group (which use to be my component), then can you assign an issue to a group or does it have to be a user of the group?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 25, 2014

You can never assign an issue to a group. Jira's assignee is always a single responsible person.

Mark Gordon August 25, 2014

Nic, thanks. What we were trying to accomplish is to have different groups of people who can only see certain issues. Thus we were trying to use components, which won't work. Then we are looking at a different design. Lets say you have 4 groups - Inbound, Outbound, Process, Sales. you want inbound to only see issues for Inbound - this "Inbound" would have to be tied to something that can work thru security. Inbound can not see Outbound, Process can not see Inbound but can see Outbound. etc etc etc. You get the picture I am sure. We were thinking about using the addin for Service Desk and have a service desk for maybe each of the groups. do you have a suggested reading/link or opinon.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 25, 2014

Yup, there's a trick here, but it does need a bit of code (although I use a script)

• Use a select-list that contains those four groups (the options must match the group names exactly)
  • Create and apply an issue security scheme
  • In the scheme, set up four levels of security - one per group.
  • Each level should say "only the matching group"
  • Finally, code a listener that reads the group the user puts in the field and sets the security level to it when it's updated.

Suggest an answer