Scrum board burndown needs to include statuses other than 'closed'

Hi, I have a workflow of the form:

open->in progress->in test ->complete

As far as my development team is concerned, the work is done when items enter the 'in test' status, since the UAT and merge to production happens outside the sprint.

Ideally I'd like:

The burndown chart to show issues in test as counting towards sprint progress (set to resolved, not closed)

I need to keep the 'closed' status for items that have completed UAT.

I can't seem to get Greenhopper reports to identify these tickets as counting towards completion, so the burndown always looks hardly worked on, and in order to make it correct, when the sprint finishes I need to temporarily drag the status of 'in test' into the final Done column in the board configuration settings.

Any ideas?

Thanks

8 answers

1 accepted

Hi Kulu,

Actually the way how burndown chart works is to burn the values base on the last column in the columns mapping in your board configurations.

So my suggestion is to set 'In Test' in the last column then you can set 'Closed' before 'In Test' or you can merge those together. I know that might not make some logical sense but that's how GH works indeed.

Cheers,

Omar

Ah, ok, makes sense, but quite annoying from a useability point of view, since we have some ticket types that need to go through UAT, and others that can bypass this and go straight from 'in progress' into complete.. Getting my developers to understand and use a back-to-front column set-up would be tricky.

Thanks for your explanation for how it's being implemented though.. it would be nice to have this as a config setting, so Greenhopper boards can be configured to show resolved or closed tickets in the burndown (rather than always having it as tickets in the final column).

I ended up making a second board with a simplified workflow - we now use the burndown from this whilst using the main one for issue transitions. Horrible workaround really, but I don't see any other way to do it.

Is it still like this. We have the same problem, but don't want to do this horrible workaround, as sometimes we need the devs. to test technical tasks them self. And getting them to do that we need to remind them with the collums.

We have the same issue, our scrum teams are "done" once code is pushed to production queue, but we cannot close the tickets until the code is actually live in production. Having a burndown chart based on "closed" status have been messing up all of our team's sprint reports.

In the column section under Project Administration you could just add the In Testing status and the Done/Closed/Resolved Status to the same column; the last one. Ether status would show as done in the burndown and you don't require a different workflow.

Is there an update on this?

Update on what?  The system burns down on the done column, as it intended to.

Update on requests to make the system burn down based on a custom column. 

Please fix this in a future release, such that teams can choose the column on which to burn down!

As far as I can see, there is still no appropriate answer to the initial question. Now, 5 years later: Is there a way to display more than just the one "Done" graph on the board?
My User Story: As a Scrum Master I would like to see a graphs for "in progress" and "in test", so I can challange the team to have less work in progress.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Tuesday in Featured Groups

Tuesday tips & tricks: What is the Atlassian Community?

It's officially Tuesday, which means it's officially time for another tip to help you better navigate this space we call the Atlassian Community. 😄 I got a great question from community member, Sa...

54 views 2 4
View post

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you