Script runner -- question about built-in reindex script

Bryan Karsh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 14, 2014

Hi Jira gurus,

Do to some plugin issues, our Jira instance won't allow background indexing -- it only allows a locked-down re-index. But this can take 3-5 hours on our environment, and I would very much like to avoid that.

I know script runner has the reindex built in script -- I've used it for small changes before. But is there a way to use this to perform a full background reindex, so the "lock" is removed?

Anyone experiment with this?

BTW -- I've done the DB checks -- there is no discrepancy between jiraaction/jiraissue field and jiraissue/ID field.

2 answers

0 votes
Bryan Karsh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 14, 2014

I *think* it was caused by a scripted-field. Found a field that was using an incorrect Search Template -- this honestly happened several months ago, so I can't verify. But I am fairly sure that was what happened.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 15, 2014

So what happens when you try a background re-index?

I'm pretty sure that if you use the script runner to do a back-ground re-index, it's going to fail anyway, as all it will really do is run the same as what goes off when you click the re-index in there. My instinct is that you need to fix the background re-index

Bryan Karsh
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 15, 2014

It doesn't even give you the option. You can only do the full locked re-index.

However, I am able to run the script runner built-in reindex just fine.

I guess Ideally, I wish there was a way to remove the "lock" (for lack of a better term) preventing me from doing the background re-index.

If I have to bite the bullet, and schedule a 4 hour maintenance for a re-index, that's what I'll do.. but I am so not looking forward to explaining that to management. :)

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 14, 2014

Partly out of curiosity, and partly because it should fix this, what is stopping background indexing? What are the plugins that break it?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events