Running Jira on same server as MS SQL 2008R2. Trouble with install SQL Server.

Robert Finley November 7, 2012

Wanted to use a MS Sql developer instance already running on this same machine. How do I get the installer to recognize it?

Update: the real problem is I can't get the configurator to log into my SQL2008 instance. Keep getting

error connecting to database

Network error IOException: Connection refused: connect

Connection Refused: connect

I'm perplexed by this as an ODBC connector from another machine for the same instance works fine (different database and all that.)

5 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted

Ugh, this just makes me sad.

The error I was seeing was assuming MSFT SQL2008 always uses TCP port 1433. Bad assumption.

Launch SQL Server Configuration Manger on the server to verify your port.

The list on the left side of the screen: [SQL Server Network Configuration] < click on to open

[Protocols for <hostname>] On the right menu there is a list of protocols that have to be configured.

[TCP/IP] < make sure it is Enabled. Then, menu click to open TCP/IP Properties.

at the bottom of the list: IPAll, in my case, had port 49212. Plugging that into the JIRA Configuration finally allowed "Test Connection" to work.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms177440.aspx

This may also explain Microsoft Firewall issues.

Well, now I just have to figure out the schema.

StefanB January 25, 2016

thx. that worked fine

0 votes
Robert Finley November 9, 2012

If you're installing JIRA on the same machine as MS-SQL2008, you will want to avoid the horse-race condition that causes Jira to fall over because SQL isn't fully awake.

After things are running, go into Control panel, Services, and open Properties on Atlassian Jira, which should currently be set for Automatic and Running.

Change that to Delayed Start.

0 votes

Changing Hostname in SQL setup was causing updates to the error message. My mistake.

localhost and the machine name both worked and weren't the problem.

"Error connecting to database"

"Network error IOException. Connection refused: connect"

Instructions might need updating thanks to changes on MSFTs end. Set up a new schema in MS SQL 2008. The database has a security schema. But, your example screenshot just has "public".

0 votes
Septa Cahyadiputra
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 7, 2012

Hi Robert,

Once the installer finished installing JIRA on your machine, you should be able to access JIRA setup wizard on your browser which will guide you to finish and configure your JIRA installation.

You can configure the database configuration on this setup wizard.

Hope it helps.

Cheers,
Septa Cahyadiputra

0 votes
Harry Chan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 7, 2012

Hi, if you are just testing why not use the built-in database? HSQLDB. It'll be much easier.

And or otherwise, https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Connecting+JIRA+to+SQL+Server+2008 - instructions for SQL Server + JIRA.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events