Retaining Tabs in Cloned Subtasks

Angela Madden April 27, 2014

We created a specific project in version 5.2 with multiple different types of issues per an internal workflow. Each issue has different tabs with specific information that must be provided. The workflow process is for the IT dept to create a Subtask of the original ticket, then clone the subtask to specific individuals. For some reason, when subtasks are cloned, the "Tabs" are disappearing instead of being retained.

1) Does anyone know how to prevent the tabs in the cloned subtask from disappearing?

2) Could it be a plugin issue?

3) Or, does this have something to do with the project being created in JIRA 5.2 & then upgrading to JIRA 6?

I'm still somewhat of a novice to JIRA, so a somewhat easy solution answer would be beneficial. Thanks

2 answers

0 votes
Angela Madden May 7, 2014

Parent ticket is cloned and then converted to a subtask and is not retaining screen tabs. Is there a plug in available to help the process? We've followed the specifics of your last link, but it hasn't resolved the issue.

Now, the project was created in JIRA 5 & since the project was created, we've updated to JIRA 6. Could this be part of the problem as well?

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 27, 2014

It's not clear what you mean by "Tabs". The word has a specific meaning in Jira, and if you're using it in that context, there's one set of questions to ask, but I'd like to check before we run off in the wrong direction.

Tabs in Jira usually means "a set of fields that are grouped together on a "screen" and appearing across the bottom of the "fields" area". Is that what you mean? Or, are you referring to the system tabs across the bottom of the issue view with "history, comments, etc"? Or something else?

Here goes the best way that I can describe our unique use of JIRA for production issues to explain 'tabs'. For example, we have an Issue Type named: Commercial Publication Startup. Within this Issue, there are 5 different steps that have specific fields that need to be filled in by the user.

Step 1: Initial Info; Step 2: Monarch Book Info; Step 3: Customer Info; Step 4: Personnel 1 Info; Step 5: Personnel 2 Info

We had to create an Issue with mutliple Step tabs (persay) for field names that had the same name.

When a user creates a ticket within the specific project, the issue is assigned to IT. Then the IT operator has to go into the ticket (issue) & Clone the Issue, then create a Subtask to send to specific people to perform jobs based on the Steps.

At subtask stage, the Steps show. But, when the subtask is Cloned, all the steps disappear. So, this is what we are trying to figure out why the Steps all disappear when the subtask is Cloned.

I say tabs, because that's what they look like - similar to if you put 5 file folders together & the label tabs stagger

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 27, 2014

Ok, these are "screen tabs" then.

Tabs appear on the "view" of an issue when there is data to be shown. When in edit or transition mode, they all appear, so that the user can put data in them.

The question here is what your clone process is doing. Compare the *view* of the source issue with that of the target issue and check if fields disappear from any of the tabs. If they are, then it's likely that you have something that deliberately scrubs the fields during the "issue create" process.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 27, 2014

Oh, hang on, you're cloning the parent? I didn't see that before.

When you clone an issue, you end up with an issue which is the same type as the one you cloned. What I didn't get was that you are changing the issue type after the clone, and that means that you can (probably) ignore what I said about clearing fields, it's far more likely to be the issue type change.

This is because the configuration of an issue is all hung off the project AND issue type.

So, yes, if you have different issue types with different settings for fields, then information can get hidden or disguised.

If you want the sub-task types to look the same as the parent types, you need to have a look at the "issue type screen scheme" to establish what the current settings are and make the children match the parent properly. I'm afraid this is one of the more complex parts of Jira, but have a look through https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Configuring+Fields+and+Screensto get started with

I did a search & came across someone else with the same issue. It's suspect that the subtasks are associated with a different screen than the other issues. Everything disappears (fields included) when a Clone of the parent ticket is created as a subtask. I'm totally novice to JIRA, no formal training of any kind.

Suggest an answer