Restrict Specific Issues within a Project to be Viewable only by Specific Groups

Stuartt October 18, 2012

How do I restrict access to certain issues after they have already been created? I see there is a drop down when editing already created issues. It is located here:

Selecting one of the options from that drop down will appear to work, like so:

But after saving if I go back to edit the issue again I see that the change has not taken place. I see this:

What do I need to do to get this change to stick? I have set an issue security level on the project but I need to be able to restrict issues within that project on an individual basis.

For example, our security level allows everyone working on Project X to see the issues but within Project X I want to make certain issues only visible to, say, developers. That drop down looks like it should do this but the change never saves. I am an administrator. What do I need to do?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 18, 2012

Ah, there's two things here.

First, the restriction box you are looking at above only applies to the *comment* on the issue. It does nothing to the issue. (I'm not sure why it's not "sticking", unless you aren't entering a comment, in which case, it's got nothing to stick to!)

Second, it sounds like you have the right idea with the security level, but you have not got the security level on screen, so you can't set it.

So, I think your next step is to make sure the security level is:

• On the create screen
  • On the edit screen
  • Allowed - go into the project permissions and check who has the permission "Set security level" - make sure you do.
Stuartt October 18, 2012

This helped. I needed to set who had permission to "Set security level". There was actually no one who had this permission (seems strange that not even admin would have it). I edited the permissions, assigned myself the ability to set this and there it was in the edit menu for the issue. Thanks!

1 vote
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 18, 2012

Hi,

I think this restriction is set for the comment you entered, not for the whole issue.

Issue restrictions can be set with security levels. Look here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Setting+Security+on+an+Issue

Cheers

Thomas

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events