Reports with Custom Field

Kim Andersson May 24, 2016

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Advanced searching

Hello there, I currently have a custom fselect all of the ield set so my costumers can choose their country from a list(Is there another way to do this? Currently Im doing some codes in the custom field description field).

These countries is added by code by appending all of the countries into the dropdown list that I've created in my Issue Collector.

But now I'd like to create reports for these countries, the amount of issue for each country. This would take me days if I would add all of the contries manually, so what I would like is some JQL that could select all of the disctinct values that has been provided in my custom country field. 

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 24, 2016

I'm not quite sure what you're doing, but if you're using a standard select list for the country, then you're doing the right thing.

To report on it, run a filter and save it.  The filter needs to return all the issues you are interested in (so "project = xxx" or "country is not empty" might be simple starting points).  Once it's got the right set of issues in the issue navigator, save it with a sensible name.

Now go to your dashboard, add a gadget for "filter statistics" and select "country" as the field to report on.

Kim Andersson May 25, 2016

So I'd have to add all of the countries in the whole world, manually.. for this to be able to be filtered?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 25, 2016

Yes, that's how a select list works.

Kim Andersson May 25, 2016

Sounds like JIRA should have a countrypicker. 

Well, let's say that I have a custom field that contains normal strings, can I somehow get a report on how many of each string there is on just that specific custom field? 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 25, 2016

It's actually very hard to implement a generic country-picker to suit all your possible clients, as you rapidly run into country specific issues at a business level.  Do you just list all the sovereign states recognised by the UN?  Or do you mean actual countries?  What about principalities or protectorates?  I live and work in England, and the country is the UK on a broad level.  Some people can work fine with UK.  But if you're a lawyer, you need to be aware that Scotland's legal system has very significant differences to that of England Wales and Northern Ireland.  If you want to talk about money, you'll often need to select from Jersey, Guernsey, Isle of Mann, Gibraltar, and so-on.  I imagine many other "countries" have similar issues.  On top of that, what happens when you don't need all the countries?  Some people might only need the Commonwealth, or EU or Schengen area, or African countries.  And so-on.  It's easier to let people have a select list and they can put in their options.

Anyway, no, you can't easily report on text like that.  You'd need to run individual reports for each string you want to find (and what happens when someone makes a spelling mistake or uses a synonym?  A lot of people mix up Britain, the UK and often England, using them interchangably - we know what they usually mean, but the words are totally different)

Suggest an answer