Reporter changed after a JIRA movement between projects

Javier March 20, 2013

Dear Mr. or Mrs.,

A technician with proper permissions has moved an issue from one project to other project.

I have been shocked when I have seen that the reporter has been set to the technician that performed the task.

In the activity log of the issue, in the same action, the following text appears:

Changed the Project to 'Project 2'

Changed the Key to 'P2K-58'

Changed the Reporter to 'New Reporter'

Added the Component 'New component'

Removed the Component 'Previous component'

Can anyone help me to find out why has happened this?

Thank you.

Javier.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 20, 2013

I suspect the old reporter does not have "create issue" rights in the target project. In other words, they are no longer a valid option for the reporter field, so Jira takes the current user as the reporter instead.

Javier March 20, 2013

Hi again, Nic.

Yes, you are right. In fact, the person that performed the movement has no Create Issue permission.

Thank you, Nic.

Javier.

Jayashree Shetty
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 1, 2014

Hi Nic.. So is it possible to still retain the initial reporter since we dont want to assign the person who has moved the issue between the projects as the new reporter? How can we achieve this ?

Also this has been reported by some of my colleagues however i am not able to recreate this issue? How can i recreate this problem?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 1, 2014

As I said in my answer, you need to ensure that the existing reporter has "create issue" in the target project when you do the move.

1 vote
damo003 October 22, 2014

we had the same problem.

We solved the problem to give the guys, who move tickets to other projects, the right to "change reporter"... it is not needed to give the reporter the right to "create issue" in target project.

Suggest an answer