Report plugin :All Fields are not getting rendered ..

I am usinng the below atlassian-plugin.XML but the fields, only one of the fields is getting rendered.

<atlassian-plugin key="" name="misys-custom-reports" plugins-version="2">


<description>This is the plugin for Atlassian JIRA.</description>


<vendor name="Example Company" url="" />


<report key="historyChangeReport" name="History Change Report"


<description key="">History of all changes occured for issues based on a criteria</description>

<resource type="velocity" name="view"

location="com/misys/alm/jira/plugins/templates/history_change_report.vm" />

<resource type="i18n" name="i18n"

location="" />

<label key="" />

















2 answers

0 vote

I can't see anything immediately wrong with the xml. When you say "does not render", do you mean that one field appears on the "report configuration" screen and there is absolutely no sign of the other? Can you tell us which one of the two fields appears and which does not?

Two things to try as well

1. Go to the screen and press ctrl-u (for "view source" - may not be that particular key in some browsers). Have a read of the html to see if any hint of the missing field is there

2. Read the log file - when I've messed up my atlassian-plugin.xml files, I've usually got some error in the log when I hit the report config screen.

It seems to render only one field.

Either Start date or End Data, one more issue is that even if remove the fields(property) in Atlassian-plugin.xml and add new one they would not end in the configure screen.

I have checked the Atlassian-plugin.xml by unpacking the plugin jar it looks changed but the configure screen remains the same old screen.

For the Atlassian-plugin attached I see only the End Date field

0 vote

Ok, checking the xml in the plugin is a good debug step, but I don't understand the "either" bit. Could you explain exactly what changes in the xml provoke what behaviours? For example, if you put both in as above, you only see the end_date. But what if you reverse the order of the two fields? If you remove end_date completely, does start date appear?


What is in the source of the page?

What does your log file say?

I am getting the properties after a JIRA restart..even unistall and reinstall of the plugin is not helping.

The Source if the page contains only start_date and hidden fields (selectedProjectId and reportType).

Now if I Remove the start_date property and retain only the end_date.

I would still see the start_date and no end_date, logs wouldn't say anything (this despite unistalling and reinstalling the plugin)

everything thing seems to fall in place once I restart

Restarting is not really relevant. Could you answer the questions I asked before?

I'm really struggling to understand what you are doing here. You aren't telling us when you're restarting, or what changes you make between restarts. You still haven't explained the symptoms you are getting as you go through each cycle of change and deploy.

Could you tell us exactly what you are seeing for each test *separately*? Ensure that you stop Jira completely in between deployments (For a completely clean environment). Four tests:

1. Both start and end date in the file

2. Both end and start date in the file (reversed)

3. Only start date

4. Only end date

To start with the report definition has property Start Date and I deploy it.

I see the Start Date

later I modify to add property End Date and when I deploy it i would not see End Date

I restart the server I can see both the Start Date and End Date

Hope this explanation helps.

Um, then I do not understand why you are even asking this question? If you restart the server and both fields appear, then there is no problem - it's all working!

Ok let me change my question..why do I need to restart the server if I need to add an additional property to the Report ?

Now that's a totally different question. You were asking what was wrong with your code (nothing, as it turns out). This is about rapid development.

The short answer is that Jira loads a lot of stuff at startup, including bits of plugins. When you change your code, you need to get Jira to unload and reload the plugin. From scratch. Completely. Because you've changed code.

You need an explicit "drop this old plugin completely and reload it". A restart is one way of doing it and the UPM can do it for most plugins as well.

My next question is how you are triggering the reload? If at all?

Well whenever I change the plugin descriptor I am unloading and reloading the plugin using UPM , despite this the property doesn't get rendered.

Only when I restart the server I seem to get to see all the changes.

Suggest an answer

Log in or Join to answer
Community showcase
Maarten Cautreels
Posted Thursday in Off-topic

Friday Fun: What's your favourite beer/drink

As a Belgian, beer-lover and home brewer, beer is one of my great passions. I love the fact that with just a few ingredients (usually just water, hop and malt) you can create so many different tastes...

285 views 38 9
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot