Renaming a project?

Hi, are you able to rename a top level project? We have projects setup and they have sub tasks and issues attached. Is it possible to rename the project or will this mess all the key names up? thanks

2 answers

Hi Jeninnifer,

It is possible to edit a project name, but there's no way for editing the Project Key yet. The only way for editing a project key for now would be by exporting a JIRA Backup, edit the entities.xml file and replace the current project key for another one. After that, restore the backup file in JIRA and you'll have a new project key.

In JIRA 6.1, it will be possible rename the Project Key. The feature request is being tracked here:

- https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-2703

That said, I strongly suggest you to wait until the release of JIRA 6.1 to safely edit the project key instead of hacking the JIRA backup file. :)

Best regards,
Lucas Timm

I think you forgot to answer the original question?

It is possible to edit a project name - How?

0 vote
Andrew Lui Atlassian Team Jan 30, 2014

You now edit a project key, if you are using JIRA 6.1 or later. See https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Editing+a+Project+Key

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published 14 hours ago in Off-topic

Get to know our Atlassian User Group Leaders from Bengaluru, India

Meet @Dinesh Dhinakaran, @Vishnu Vasudeva, @Rajeev Verma, and Jamshid Nalakath: Our extraordinary AUG leaders from Bengaluru, India. These four work together to strengthen the bonds of their local co...

102 views 0 4
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you