Renaming Users in JIRA 6,Confluence 5, Fisheye/crucible 4

Gaurav Girdhar December 9, 2013

There is feature in JIRA 6 to rename users. Is it recommended from Atlassian? Can we use this fucntionality to rename our users?

Similarly, Can we rename the users in Confluence 5, Fisheye/crucible 4? Is it recommeded?

2 answers

0 votes
Gaurav Girdhar December 10, 2013

Thanks for replying.

1) What about renaming users in JIRA6? Is it recommended? Or do you see it error prone?

2) If JIRA6 users are authenticated from Crowd and i rename users in JIRA6 then what should be approach so that it gets reflected in Crowd as well after syncronization between JIRA6 and crowd? In short, renaming of users in JIRA6 should also get reflected in Crowd.

0 votes
Jason Hensler
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 9, 2013

I can confirm user editing working in confluence 5.3. I found this out by mistake in our test env when I changed to the LDAP settings without populating the Unique ID field, which cause all of our user to be dropped and re-added, as confluence thought they were new users durring a sync. Since fixing confluence has tracked re-names made in the ldap side. I also verified that I could rename a user in the internal confluence user directory.

Crucible/Fisheye v4 does not exist yet. Latest is 3.2.1. We have 3.1.5 running and there is a rename option in the user manager but, I did not test this as we are syncing our userbase from Jira and are not running v6 yet.

Gaurav Girdhar December 10, 2013

Thanks for replying.

1) What about renaming users in JIRA6? Is it recommended? Or do you see it error prone?

2) If JIRA6 users are authenticated from Crowd and i rename users in JIRA6 then what should be approach so that it gets reflected in Crowd as well after syncronization between JIRA6 and crowd? In short, renaming of users in JIRA6 should also get reflected in Crowd.

Jason Hensler
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 10, 2013

Renaming users in Jira6 is Officially supported (see here). I don't think that jira would update the crowd server in the event of a username change but, i'm not sure. This Jira issue says that it should be possible to have Jira 6.1.1 and Confluence 5.3+ pick-up on crowd user edits as an edit and not a delete then re-add of a user. It would seem like you should be able to make changes in crowd and have them propagate to your user applications provided your using the version listed above. This is a very new feature so, your mileage may vary.

In my environment we are using an LDAP Server directory for authentication, not crowd. Looking at my specific setup we should be able to set the "user unique id" in our LDAP directory settings to the LDAP Server uuid/guid and have the application pick-up name changes from the ldap server to confluence/jira. This will be nice as I don’t always get told of a name change prior to the named being changed in the ldap service.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events