Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rename blog to news throughout

Jeremy King December 16, 2012

Hi

I am currently working on upgrading our confluence installation to version 4.3.

One of the requests for the peice of work to do this is to rename the terminology blog post throughout the system to be news instead.

I have looked around on the documentation and cannot see a way of doing this as a configuration to edit.

I know that if you want to edit the dashboard name you can edit a jar file which has a dashboard.home configuration. I was hoping that maybe there is the same thing for a blog post?

If not, can you recommend a good way of going about this?

Cheers,

Jeremy

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jeremy King January 2, 2013
twong_atlassian
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 2, 2013

Support tickets are not accessible to the public. The gist of that ticket is that you can create your own translation file:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DISC/Language+Pack+Translations

0 votes
twong_atlassian
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 28, 2012

Hi Jeremy,

There's a file called ConfluenceActionSupport.properties inside of the confluence-{version}.jar located in <confluence-install>/confluence/WEB-INF/lib directory. Unjar this file (or unzip) to a temporary location.

This file controls most of the language in Confluence. The left side of the equal sign is the property name, don't change that. The right side is the display langauge. You change the langauge to your liking in this file.

I cheated and did it programmatically using a linux utility called awk:

awk -F= -v OFS='=' '{gsub(/Blog/,"News",$2);gsub(/blog/,"news",$2);print }' ConfluenceActionSupport.properties   &gt; output

Save your modified copy to <installdir>/confluence/WEB-INF/classes/com/atlassian/confluence/core/ and restart Confluence.

I've taken the liberty of attaching my modified ConfluenceActionSupport.properties from Confluence 4.3.1 (where I tested this).

EDIT: It's zipped.

EDIT: Never mind. Apparently answers hates everything I do. I've posted it here:

https://bitbucket.org/twong_atlassian/answers-responses/raw/a84798846e9433366a1a329dc74ee8c39bf25ce8/atlassian-confluence-4.3.1/confluence/WEB-INF/classes/com/atlassian/confluence/core/ConfluenceActionSupport.properties

Tim

Jeremy King January 2, 2013

Hi Tim,

That looks good.. thanks

I raised a support ticket at the same time as asking this on answers.

The recommendation i was given can be found here

https://support.atlassian.com/browse/CSP-93415

Basically they suggest creating custom translations

Thanks for your help!

Jeremy

twong_atlassian
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 2, 2013

That's basically the same as my solution. We're just calling it different things. The ConfluenceActionSupport file is the thing that handles i18n in Confluence.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events