Remote Agents: Source code checkout with Plastic SCM doesn't work

We use Plastic SCM (www.plasticscm.com) as source code management tool. There is a plugin provided by codice software (Plastic SCM vendir) which works fine with local agents. But on remote agents it doesn't work. I get following error:

Starting task 'Checkout Default Repository' of type 'com.atlassian.bamboo.plugins.vcs:task.vcs.checkout'
Updating source code to revision: 32
Error occurred while running Task 'Checkout Default Repository(1)'. This build will fail. Caused by:
java.lang.RuntimeException: com.atlassian.bamboo.repository.RepositoryException: An error occurred when updating workspace.
        at com.atlassian.bamboo.executor.RetryingTaskExecutor.rerun(RetryingTaskExecutor.java:119)
        at com.atlassian.bamboo.executor.RetryingTaskExecutor.runTask(RetryingTaskExecutor.java:79)
        at com.atlassian.bamboo.executor.RetryingTaskExecutor.retry(RetryingTaskExecutor.java:174)
        at com.atlassian.bamboo.plugins.vcs.task.VcsCheckoutTask.execute(VcsCheckoutTask.java:109)
        at com.atlassian.bamboo.task.TaskExecutorImpl.executeTasks(TaskExecutorImpl.java:183)
        at com.atlassian.bamboo.task.TaskExecutorImpl.executePreparationTasks(TaskExecutorImpl.java:67)
        at com.atlassian.bamboo.build.pipeline.tasks.PrepareBuildTask.call(PrepareBuildTask.java:67)
        at com.atlassian.bamboo.v2.build.agent.DefaultBuildAgent.build(DefaultBuildAgent.java:204)
        at com.atlassian.bamboo.v2.build.agent.BuildAgentControllerImpl.waitAndPerformBuild(BuildAgentControllerImpl.java:103)
        at com.atlassian.bamboo.v2.build.agent.DefaultBuildAgent$1.run(DefaultBuildAgent.java:109)
        at com.atlassian.bamboo.build.pipeline.concurrent.NamedThreadFactory$2.run(NamedThreadFactory.java:52)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:662)
Caused by: com.atlassian.bamboo.repository.RepositoryException: An error occurred when updating workspace.
        at com.codicesoftware.plugins.bamboo40.changesproviders.PlasticContinuousIntegrationMode.updateWorkspace(PlasticContinuousIntegrationMode.java:106)
        at com.codicesoftware.plugins.bamboo40.PlasticRepository.retrieveSourceCode(PlasticRepository.java:115)
        at com.codicesoftware.plugins.bamboo40.PlasticRepository.retrieveSourceCode(PlasticRepository.java:101)
        at com.atlassian.bamboo.plugins.vcs.task.VcsCheckoutTask.fillWorkingDirFromVcs(VcsCheckoutTask.java:180)
        at com.atlassian.bamboo.plugins.vcs.task.VcsCheckoutTask.access$100(VcsCheckoutTask.java:46)
        at com.atlassian.bamboo.plugins.vcs.task.VcsCheckoutTask$1.call(VcsCheckoutTask.java:114)
        at com.atlassian.bamboo.plugins.vcs.task.VcsCheckoutTask$1.call(VcsCheckoutTask.java:110)
        at com.atlassian.bamboo.executor.RetryingTaskExecutor.rerun(RetryingTaskExecutor.java:100)
        ... 11 more
Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
        at com.codicesoftware.plugins.bamboo40.PlasticClient.getCmExePath(PlasticClient.java:15)
        at com.codicesoftware.plastic.core.EnviromentManager.getCmExePath(Unknown Source)
        at com.codicesoftware.plastic.core.PlasticShell.initShell(Unknown Source)
        at com.codicesoftware.plastic.core.PlasticShell.execute(Unknown Source)
        at com.codicesoftware.plastic.commands.GetWorkspaceFromPathCommand.execute(Unknown Source)
        at com.codicesoftware.plugins.bamboo40.changesproviders.WorkspaceManager.getWorkpsaceInfoFromPath(WorkspaceManager.java:50)
        at com.codicesoftware.plugins.bamboo40.changesproviders.WorkspaceManager.workspaceAlreadyExists(WorkspaceManager.java:43)
        at com.codicesoftware.plugins.bamboo40.changesproviders.WorkspaceManager.createWorkspace(WorkspaceManager.java:61)
        at com.codicesoftware.plugins.bamboo40.changesproviders.PlasticContinuousIntegrationMode$1.call(PlasticContinuousIntegrationMode.java:93)
        at com.codicesoftware.plugins.bamboo40.changesproviders.PlasticContinuousIntegrationMode$1.call(PlasticContinuousIntegrationMode.java:90)
        at com.atlassian.util.concurrent.ManagedLocks$ManagedLockImpl.withLock(ManagedLocks.java:324)
        at com.codicesoftware.plugins.bamboo40.changesproviders.PlasticContinuousIntegrationMode.updateWorkspace(PlasticContinuousIntegrationMode.java:89)
        ... 18 more

In the codice support forum they say it's an issue on Atlassian site. http://www.plasticscm.net/index.php?/topic/867-trying-to-get-bamboo-to-work-with-plastic/page__st__20

The plastic client is correctly installed on the remote agent and works when I try to update locally on the remote agent.

4 answers

1 accepted

0 vote

The exception you've linked (NPE in Plastic plugin) looks different than the one you've linked on Plastic forums.

We won't be able to help you, we don't have access to the source code - you'll have more luck asking on Plastic forums.

While doing it, please ask whether they would be willing to open source the plugin.

I've pinged them, let's see what they say.

I talked to a support guy of codice software. he asked whethere I can give him a contact mail address of you guys but I didn't find one. So you may drop him a line on support at codicesoftware dot com

They've opensourced the plugin, I've committed a fix that should get you past this error.

Stupid question, but is the Plastic scm plugin for Bamboo open-sourced? So we could peek at the sources? Probably not, but I better ask...

Well, I guess not (I haven't seen any source code anywhere) but the codice guys are usually very responsive. (http://www.plasticscm.com/support.aspx)

0 vote

The exception you've linked (NPE in Plastic plugin) looks different than the one you've linked on Plastic forums.

We won't be able to help you, we don't have access to the source code - you'll have more luck asking on Plastic forums.

While doing it, please ask whether they would be willing to open source the plugin.

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published yesterday in Off-topic

Get to know our Atlassian User Group Leaders from Bengaluru, India

Meet @Dinesh Dhinakaran, @Vishnu Vasudeva, @Rajeev Verma, and Jamshid Nalakath: Our extraordinary AUG leaders from Bengaluru, India. These four work together to strengthen the bonds of their local co...

146 views 0 4
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you