Remaining effort (statistics) of released versions doubled in GreenHopper?

Arthur April 22, 2012

I found a strange behaviour in GreenHopper. I have a Release (parent) version and Sprint (child) versions. In the Statistics column (planning, chart boards) the parent version has a cumulative statistic of issues within itself as well as that of child version, which makes perfect sense. The problem arises though when I release a child version...

For example, I have this situation. I have stories in Release version for a total of 400 hours. I also have two sprint stories created as child version, Sprint 1 and Sprint 2. They are empty for now. To start the first sprint, I pulled 200h worth of stories into Sprint 1. For Release the statistics still shows 400h total, which makes sense. Now I finish the sprint, but I managed to burn down only 150h. I do the release of the sprint, and I move the unfinished issues with a total remaining effort of 50h to Sprint 2 version. I would expect that Release (parent) version would show a total of 250h effort remaining (because of the total 400h I burned down 150h, or, from another angle, I have 200h in Release version (still unassigned to a sprint) and 50h in Sprint 2).

But it doesn't work like this. Statistics shows 300h. It is taking the actual remainder of 250h and adds the 50h of unfinished effort from released Sprint 1. Which does doesn't make sense. This also causes the parent version burndown chart to display unrealisticly increased remaining effort that I cannot even burn down (how can I burn down the 50h that are 'locked' in the released sprint version?).

To be fair, I am making an assumption that this is the way GreenHopper behaves. I have a discrepancy after having released 3 sprints, and the discrepancy is equal to the unfinished sum effort from those 3 sprints, which is 130h.

Has anyone else had a similar problem? Are there any solutions for that? Perhaps I am simply missing something..

2 answers

1 vote
Arthur April 23, 2012

It's a GreenHopper bug, let's hope it will be fixed soon:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/GHS-4038

0 votes
Arthur April 22, 2012

Anybody had the same issues?

Suggest an answer