Rapid board shows "No active sprints" though board filter returns issues

boardtc
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 13, 2012

I created a Rapid Board for Scrum (scrum template set). The filter behind the board finds 63 matching (open) current issues when run on it's own. However I see nothing on the Rapidboard when Work is selected, it shows:

Unlike the other boards (planning/task/chart) I do not see an option to select a sprint (fixVersion) and I think that is all controlled by the filter selected.

Why does it show "No active Sprints"?

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
sclowes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 14, 2012

Hi,

You just drag the Sprint marker down and the stories above it are selected for the Sprint. When you click Start Sprint the issues will move immediately to the work mode.

The Start Sprint button should definitely show in Chrome (and Firefox), is it possible that you clicked the "Start Sprint" button already? Once a Sprint is started it can be viewed on the Work mode but only one Sprint can be active at a time (on a particular set of issues).

Regards,
Shaun

boardtc
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 14, 2012

I clicked the start sprint button a number of times already as therew as no indication it was doing anything. The button still shows in firefox and is clickable but does not show in Chrome. I had only clicked it when it was at the top where it started. I moved it to the botttom and clicked and I got the pop up to enter a Sprint name and the dates! And they all show in Work mode now - thanks a lot!

This Sprint name is new and not using the Manage Versions as you mentioned. The documentaion needs to be updated as it's not valid right now I think.

When I edit one of the included JIRA issues now, the new Sprint name is not exposed. I was able to add it to the planning board list and the card view.

After I had done that I noticed an issue at the bottom which I had just created before and not refreshed the board so it was not showing when I clicked strat Sprint. How can I get add this missed issue to the created Sprint now?

boardtc
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 14, 2012

Found out via https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/41749/delete-sprint-created-in-scrum-rapid-board that from GreenHopper 5.9.1 you will be able to add issues to a running Sprint from the Plan mode.

1 vote
sclowes
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 14, 2012

Hi,

The Rapid Board does not use the fixVersion at all, it uses a new field called "Sprint". On plan mode you drag the Sprint marker to select issues then click "Start Sprint", which creates a new Sprint object and assigns it to the issues.

If you are not seeing the issues you expect to see in one the plan mode, check the following:

• The Rapid Board filter acts be selecting a set of candidates for the board. However, only issues that have a status that is mapped to one of the work mode columns will ever be selected by the board, you can check this by looking at the column configuration of the board (specifically, look for statuses in the unmapped which have a number greater than zero in their issue count)
  • Issues that currently have a Sprint assigned (to their Sprint field) do not show up on the Plan mode
  • Starting a Sprint will assign the Sprint field for all issues above the marker (causing them to disappear from the Plan mode)

Issues that appear on work mode must meet the following criteria:

• They must have a Sprint assigned to their Sprint field
  • They must have a status that maps to a column on the board
  • The sprint in their Sprint field must be an openSprint(). A sprint is closed by clicking the 'Release' button on the work mode

Hope this helps

Thanks,
Shaun

boardtc
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 14, 2012

Thanks for the reply Shaun! So it's a new way of working completely. At the moment i am trying to see if I can have a RapidBoard replace a Task board so am trying to receate the task board. The filter behind it filters off fixVersion, which are how our sprints are demarked up to now, isn't that how GreenHopper worked? These are created in the Manage Version section in administration where one assigns start and end days to the sprint (fixVersion). http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/GH/Releasing+a+Version still talks about using Manage versions.

So, I see all my issues from the filter in Plan mode rather than the full Backlog. I had noticed the start sprint button but had no idea what it was. Having read your explanation, played with it and searched the web for more doc I am still unsure!

In Firefox I see the start sprint button and I can move the marker row up and down but I don't know how to select issues and how one knows this Sprint object is created? I have it above the first issue and have tried clicking it there but nothing happens.

Is there any way to see issues have been assigned a Sprint object field? When I edit the JIRA I do not see the Sprint field for example ( I notied the same with Epic/Theme, but this was available to edit in a bulk edit) Because I am unable to select issues and assign this Sprint field I guess this is why the Work Mode still shows empty.

I tried in Chrome and the Sprint marker show but the start sprint button does not.

0 votes
Andrew Cohen July 1, 2014

One other possibility is that the admin has disabled the Sprint field from your priveleges. This just happened to us.

You can check if it is disabled because if you go to the Issue Navigator and type in a custom JQL query, and try to include the field Sprint as a criteria, e.g. "AND Sprint = openSprint()", then you get the error saying you do not have permission to view Sprint field.

0 votes
sclowes
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 14, 2012

Hey,

The Rapid Board is not particularly designed to work in concert with the Planning/Version/Release/Task boards. Eventually the Rapid Board will replace those boards. At the moment Scrum for Rapid Boards is in labs, the documentation remains accurate for the Planning/Version/Release/Task boards but we will extend it to cover Rapid Boards more completely in the future.

You can definitely recreate the Task Board the way you've discussed (using filters for fixVersion).

The issues that will go in to the Sprint are all of the issues above the marker in the backlog. When you click the start button it will create the Sprint and ask you to view it in work mode.

Please make sure you're playing with the latest version of GreenHopper (5.9) as this area of the product is improving very rapidly.

Thanks,
Shaun

boardtc
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 14, 2012

Thanks Shaun. My understanding was that 5.9 was for GreenHopper 5. We are using 4.4 so the most current is 5.8.7 which we have. So no new fucntiunality will be deveeloped for the 4.4 version :-(

I missed this mail before your subsequernt accpetted one re the important above!

Suggest an answer